Looking for fellow PCOS-ers to motivate and educate each other

Options
13»

Replies

• cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Another here with PCOS. I believe I was 12 when I was first told it was suspected and 14 when I had an ultrasound confirming it as well as insulin resistance and high testosterone. I started metformin not long ago, but had to come off because of it causing GI upset. Soon I'll be starting the extended release to see if that will be better for my stomach. Did anyone have to go on the extended release because of GI problems?

Anywho, I'm starting a whole 30 to see if that can help me kick some of my bad eating habits and give me a better chance at helping to control my PCOS.

When are you starting your Whole30? I am thinking of starting in June
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What is whole 30?
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What is whole 30?

Here is the link:
    http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

It is basically 30 days where you eat only whole foods and cut out sugar, wheat, dairy, legumes, corn, soy, alcohol. It is similar to paleo but a little more strict for the 30 days. It is awesome!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That's neat !
  • tacosticks
    tacosticks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since I was 18, and am now 22. Trying to plan my diet around it is a nightmare lol, especially when I'm also diagnosed with Celiac Disease and IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Ended up losing almost 100 pounds the first time I started a low-FODMAP diet only to gain 55 back after I thought I was "better" and started eating crap again. New rules for the second round: don't stop when you think you're feeling good haha
  • labenavidez23
    labenavidez23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2013. I am finally trying to lose 50lbs or so. Feel free to add me. I know having the support & having you ladies on my feed will keep me accountable
  • nicolevanderveen1
    nicolevanderveen1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fellow pcos-er looking for support in the weight loss journey! my first goal is 50lbs and hopefully more from there! Add me :)
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have been battling it since I was 13 (made for miserable high school experience for the most part, teens can be cruel). Diagnosed officially at 27, took clomid (max dosage) to get pregnant. I am 57, have two sons (22 and 23), never took meds aside from birth control (that's what they did then). Hysterectomy at 38 to prevent ovarian cancer (gran had it and mom died at 54 from it). Apparently 2 direct relatives gives you a 50% chance, pcos raises that and so does clomid. It is connected with type 2 diabetes and also with low vitamin d levels (mine was 9 a few years back). The only way I can lose it to maintain at least the lower end of normal for vitamin d and watch my carbs.

My on/gyn once told me my metabolism only functioned when I was pregnant. I had gestational diabetes with at least the first. So bad they thought I would have to have insulin injections, controlled by following a low carb diet (2800 calories a day. Before I delivered my son I was 4 pounds lighter then I started the pregnancy. When I was discharged I was down 20 lbs from when I began the pregnancy. Second pregnancy was similar, gained only ten pounds which I lost when I delivered. Both kids full term, normal weight and delivered naturally. The doctor had thought it would be a c section.

Weight has been a lifelong struggle which I hope to finally win.