Gary Taubes Gets The Public Takedown He Deserves

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
If you like a good polemic, and you think Gary Taubes is an insufferable fraud, then this is for you:

http://www.bodyforwife.com/an-open-letter-to-gary-taubes/

Enjoy.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nice find!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Taubes doesn't clarify nutritional understanding. He's a crazy fraud. Calories in calories out is all you need to know to lose and maintain weight.

Saying CICO is all I need to know is like saying basic math is all you need to know, right? Human nutrition is way more complex than 1-1=0. Understanding CICO is a very fundamental concept. It does not explain the knowledge of human nutrition necessary to have long term success with weight problems for me.

I research nutrition as well but I follow more reputable sources.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Taubes is a complete fraud and needs to be called out at every opportunity for this.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Taubes doesn't clarify nutritional understanding. He's a crazy fraud. Calories in calories out is all you need to know to lose and maintain weight.

Saying CICO is all I need to know is like saying basic math is all you need to know, right? Human nutrition is way more complex than 1-1=0. Understanding CICO is a very fundamental concept. It does not explain the knowledge of human nutrition necessary to have long term success with weight problems for me.

Understanding CICO as a fundamental concept was all I needed to do-not only to lose over 50lbs and improve every health marker my doctor uses, but to also now be successful in maintenance. It seems that people keep trying to make this whole thing way more complicated than it needs to be. To each their own, but keeping things simple is working great for me!

"It worked for me" is one of the weakest arguments on either side of the discussion on nutrition knowledge.

We have different starting point, cultural and nutritional environments - someone telling me to reduce added sugars to my diet for weight loss would just not make sense. I gained weight on a "Mediterranean Diet".

Taubes methods and position are preposterous yet they work for some. Stepping away from the personality debates is how I personally intend to look into various WOE. Fell's nutritional position is much closer to mine - yet his attitude and polarisation is useful for what? Selling his journalism.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Taubes is a complete fraud and needs to be called out at every opportunity for this.

Qft
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Is this that important in some people's lives? ;)

This did get moved to 'chit-chat', so I guess that is the recognized value here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Not really convinced by an obscenity laced blog rant and very curious why you care enough to help vilify a writer trying to clarify nutritional understanding.

Taubes gave me the knowledge I needed to lose weight, hit below my goal weight and maintain my goal weight. That is the real validation.
    It's anecdotal though. People can lose weight on any diet AS LONG AS there's a calorie deficit. Some take longer than others. And while there's some truth to Taube's beliefs, the tossing out of legitimate research he deems outdated is pretty narcissistic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    If you like a good polemic, and you think Gary Taubes is an insufferable fraud, then this is for you:

Enjoy.

This article attacks Taunts personally. Personal attacks are so easy and empty. I don't know Gary Taunts well. I haven't read his work, but from what I understand, he's not off base. He's hitting on the same truths as many others currently fighting to share evidence based nutrition. I just finished Dr. Jason Fung's newly published book The Obesity Code. He presents a well-researched and complex picture of the etiology of obesity. He's a practicing doctor with a successful program for obese and diabetes patients. His book aligns well with what I understand of Taubes positon... everyone is researching and sharing different pieces of the puzzle of obesity, and the role of insulin is a huge component that shouldn't be ignored.
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Enjoy.

This article attacks Taunts personally. Personal attacks are so easy and empty. I don't know Gary Taunts well. I haven't read his work, but from what I understand, he's not off base. He's hitting on the same truths as many others currently fighting to share evidence based nutrition. I just finished Dr. Jason Fung's newly published book The Obesity Code. He presents a well-researched and complex picture of the etiology of obesity. He's a practicing doctor with a successful program for obese and diabetes patients. His book aligns well with what I understand of Taubes positon... everyone is researching and sharing different pieces of the puzzle of obesity, and the role of insulin is a huge component that shouldn't be ignored.

You don't know Taubes or his work but have an opinion regarding it. Seems legit.

Sarcasm. Awesome.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited May 2016
    Options

Enjoy.

You don't know Taubes or his work but have an opinion regarding it. Seems legit.

Sarcasm. Awesome.

And your comment is not sarcastic? <confused>
  • Crisseyda
    Options

Enjoy.

Sarcasm. Awesome.

And your comment is? <confused>

Of course you are "confused."

I haven't read Taubes books. I've read some of his articles and seen some interviews. From what I've seen, he's not off base. He lines up well with lots of what I have read. You can personally attack the man all day, but it's a logical fallacy if you aren't actually discussing the real issues. Does that clear things up a bit?
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Now you're confused.;)

I was questioning how you can call someone out for being sarcastic by being sarcastic yourself.

That's called irony. :)
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    Now you're confused.;)

I was questioning how you can call someone out for being sarcastic by being sarcastic yourself.

That's called irony. :)

Yes, it is ironic. I'm glad you picked up on that. :)