Strength training for beginner at home

Enjcg5
Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
In a nutshell, I'm a 37year old 5'5 female weighing 160 looking to lose 20lbs. Looking for a strength training program I can do at home. I am not strong at all so it has to be doable for the most basic beginner. (This is also why I want to start strength training) Preferably no more than 1/2hr a day. I am not opposed to buying some basic equipment that can be used long-term.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Fitnessblender.com has great workouts for beginners. I love their youtube channel since I do all my workouts at home.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i really like my TRX at home, its fun and isn't a bunch of equipment in the way. and you can do just about everything with it for any level.
  • Enjcg5
    Thank you! I will check those out. Just need a little help from people that know what they are doing.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    You can go anywhere from TRX straps, a pull up/dip bar combo, Dumbbells, or a full free weight gym in your garage. Whatever you do, start inexpensive and work up from there. Your opinions and preferences are bound to change as you gain experience. I've managed to put together a full garage gym mostly through buying used equipment that people bought new and barely used, and then supplementing with critical pieces of new equipment.
  • Krismarie247
    Krismarie247 Posts: 19 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i really like my TRX at home, its fun and isn't a bunch of equipment in the way. and you can do just about everything with it for any level.

The TRX is great, but I bought the WOSS trainer instead. It's basically the same thing, but much cheaper. You can get it here... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3ZF03Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006V6D6I0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GYEPZHEHKQVGGYTWCZZ

• e92girl
    e92girl Posts: 2 Member
    I'm the same as you. 37, was 140 (now 120 with muscle and ab definition) and 5'3". I have lost exactly 20 lbs gradually. Started by cutting out sugary drinks/foods and fried foods. I still eat one bad meal week. I keep around 1300-1500 calories intake daily. Search YouTube for women weight training and fitness buddy app has animated weight usage. Start around 10-15 lbs dumbbells. Lifting heavier does not make you "bulky" but it helps burn fat. Doing a mix of exercises like ab/cardio for a minute then jumping into weights and constantly moving with small 30 second breaks like cross training is the best 15-30 minute work out just 3-4 times a week.
    Also look into CLA and protein shakes. Protein helps with building muscle which burns fat and also suppresses appetite. Also learn about macros helps a lot too. You can do it!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Start with body weight exercises ... invest in a book like "Your body is your gym", or see if your local library has a copy.

Increase your activity level ... at 1st doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you are doing more, and watching your nutrition ( eat at a deficit ). Pick up heavy things and move them around. Spend 15 mins going up and down your staircase. Go out and thatch your lawn, or do some gardening. If it made you sore ( but not "painful" ), then it means it made your muscles work. Repeated activity leads to better neuro-musculature efficiency, which is what increased strength is.

Further along in your journey, after you've done some research and improved your base conditioning, you should have a better idea of what your goal(s) are, and what direction to go to accomplish it/them. That's when you can start acquiring equipment for your proposed training routine.

I hear the ladies on this site recommending StrongCurves all the time, not sure how well it translates to a home gym, I am not familiar with the details, but it is probably worth checking out for ideas at least.

Currently, I am an apartment dweller, so no room for my own equipment. The $180/year basic membership at my local World Gym covers everything I need thou.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I like to do videos with dumbbells...things like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, ripped in 30, 1 week shred; Denise Austin body boot camp or power zone(uses resistance band); the firm super cardio, 500 calorie workout, and their newer turbo charge workouts (20 min) on YouTube.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited May 2016

I love nerdfitness. ( If amyrwbeccah hadnt posted it i would have) You can start small, push-ups against the wall etc, and build so you can complete the programme. Don't think you have to do all of it perfect when you start. Make completing the workout a goal. Do it at your speed and capabilities. It took me close to a year!

Once you can do it all,and it is no longer a challenge, you can build complexity into the moves.
    I have played with it for 3+ years, but started as weak as a kitten.

Another good routine that you can watch, make notes (to start at your speed) , break down and work towards completing is the HasFit beginner body weight work out. Do it at your pace, work to completing a set then 2, then the programme. Then, or when you are ready, increase the weight.

In all these things you are doing you are progressing as long as you are challenging yourself.
    What others can do is inconsequential, that you have moved from a wall push up to a table push up is wonderful and an achievement to be proud of. Likewise being able to up you weights by a pound or two.

If you do the 30 day shred, or anything similar, don't give up if you can't complete it. I did the first 10 days for 30 days because that is how long it took me to be able to feel as though I could move up.
    (Hint. If you have problems with high impact do step ups or walking in place instead of the jumping jacks- they are just to keep your heart rate up)

Cheers h.
    HasFit:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
  • Enjcg5
    Totally gonna do this!