Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Maintain weight and increase muscle

I recently achieved my goal of losing 30 lbs and now I am continuing to eat healthy to maintain my weight.

Now I would like to build muscle and continue to be more fit.

I would appreciate any feedback to achieve this next goal / lifestyle change .

Thanks

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    This is my current focus, too! I'm lifting 5x a week, yoga and I need to run more often
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    I will begin weights and resistance bands as well. Thanks for the reply.
    Louisiana here .
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    If you are new to strength training, I would suggest you either speak to a trainer, or follow a well known and highly regarded program, such as Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, etc.

If you are looking to maintain your current weight while gaining muscle mass and losing fat, the term is "recomposition" ( google it ). You eat at maintenance ( neutral caloric intake to your needs and activity ), lift heavy things and put them back down, then repeat.

A starter program typically is 3x a week, and you can follow the lifting with some cardio for additional calorie burn, if desired. Could also do cardio on recovery days.

Eat enough protein to fuel your needs for muscle gains, and eat a generally healthy diet that fits your other macros, like you have been doing.
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Thank you pmm3437 for the info.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Look into "recomp(osition)" and "calorie cycling" as a means to achieve it. You'll need to eat at a surplus to grow. But excessively and you'll store it. It's tough to get it dialed in and you'll likely be wiggling around a lot. Just how it goes.

1. make sure your protein is covered according to whichever standard you choose
    2. eat some multiple of TDEE, say 1.25% on lifting days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Look into "recomp(osition)" and "calorie cycling" as a means to achieve it. You'll need to eat at a surplus to grow. But excessively and you'll store it. It's tough to get it dialed in and you'll likely be wiggling around a lot. Just how it goes.

1. make sure your protein is covered according to whichever standard you choose
    2. eat some multiple of TDEE, say 1.25% on lifting days.

You don't have to calorie cycle to recomp.
    You don't need a surplus to grow.
    Recomp is a totally normal reaction to the stimulus of training and supported by an adequate diet - it doesn't need any special "tricks" and doesn't need to be forced or micro managed.

Now if someone is very lean and close to their training peak/training potential then there may some (impossible to quantify) benefits from calorie cycling/nutrition timing but for the vast majority of people that's just over complicating a simple process IMHO.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Here is a "recomp" thread that you can go to for how other folks have fared: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest.