sciatica

sigw94
sigw94 Posts: 20 Member
Anyone know of any exercises that someone with sciatica can do without being in constant agony the next day?

Replies

• IanJohnStewart
    IanJohnStewart Posts: 1 Member
    With my back....exercise is the key. If it's sore...a walk every day, plus stretches. Not sore...do everything but avoid back bends, especially sideways ones.
  • edwardwmarsden
    edwardwmarsden Posts: 5 Member
    You tube can help with anything i have issues with it to from a tight piriformis. The agony i am in when doing the streches is awful but i have noticed its getting better. You should youtube that
  • sigw94
    sigw94 Posts: 20 Member
    Thank you both so much (: I will watch any YouTube videos, I went to the physio today and they said to try all and see how I go but thanks I will avoid sideway stretches.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    My physio has given me 2 stretches and 2 strength to do. He said I should not be doing any others until my supposedly impinged nerve gets a bit released. I decided however to try doing dome youtube sciatica exercises a couple of days ago on my own and after them the pain got worse and the next day it was almost as bad as ever! So I don't plan doing anything before given a clear from my physio. Oh by they way I've been in pain and wasn't even able to walk for some time for 8 months now...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    so after i suffered with sciatica for many years, and trying to live a normal life and exercising, i finally gave up and did nothing for several years to give my back a chance to rest and heal, as much as that was possible. I could screw it up just stepping wrong or sneezing, but after i was very idle for several years, i very very VERY slowly got back into weight lifting, And of all the lifting i do, the one thing that has basically cured my siatica and saved me from ever screwing it up again was building a rock solid core and learning to deadlift properly. this took a lot of years, and was a slow process and lots of skilled trainers watching my form. I was scared to death to deadlift a 5 lb kettelbell. But after learning proper form, how to bend over and pick things up, and training my body to lift with my legs and engage the right muscles, i've never had a twinge of pain since. And i previously lived with sciatica that i couldnt even get out of bed and cried all night long from the pain.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Stretch you lower back and glutes