Running in the heat - UK

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
As all you in the UK will know summer has finally arrived and yes I'm loving the sunshine.

However this summer is also my first as a runner and I'm refusing to be beaten by the heat. I will be running late evening - around 9pm so should be a bit cooler but was wondering if anyone has any tips. I did my Parkrun on Saturday and it was scorching hot - even at 9 am and ended up doing through 2 litres of water and lots of walking (I'm still doing a zombie 5k training so not up to running a full 5k yet).

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but to get the coolest part of the day you really have to set your alarm early - I get out before 6.30am. I can't do the evenings not just because of the heat but also the pollution affects my asthma. If you can find a shady road, run up and down the side that doesn't get the sun, or head to park or woodland with dappled sunlight.

If all else fails, try water running in a pool - bliss!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Where do you run? I'd choose a route that had lots of trees for shade, or beside a river. Hydrate well before and after your run. I find a hat keeps the sun out of my eyes, but I also really like a sweatband/wristband for wiping my eyes.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Some of my run is in the shade but as its quite late and we live in a city I tend to run along the main roads for safety reasons.

I have been thinking about getting up early to run but we have two children who have sleeping problems so they are up late plus if I'm honest I'm not a morning person. However if the heat continues I might have to as I'd rather get less sleep then stop training.

I'm getting a treadmill this week(it was on special offer) but it was with the intention of keeping it in the box until winter when it is impossible to run outside but it is another option.
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    did running with my monday group but running at 6.45 with hayfever and stitch wasnt a good results so if this weather really is it til mid august ill be using the dreadmill with the inbuild fan at the gym more than once a week
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Preload with water to stay hydrated. If you have a camel pack or water bottle that you can bring comfortably, do so to have hydration with you. Make sure you warm up and get accustomed to the heat before you start your actual run. Keep an eye on yourself - if you get dizzy or faint, slow to a walk and breathe deep. Make sure your breathing is good so that you get plenty of oxygen. The more you run in the heat, the easier it gets.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This weather is so unusual in the UK lol. It has been hot hasn't it. I am doing couch to 5 k on my treadmill and usually have a morning coffee and half an hour later after just coffee and water do my run. I seem to work out better on an empty stomach. On Saturday I did this and after 15 minutes I promptly threw up my coffee and was sweating like crazy. Running and heat obviously don't work for me!!

I honestly think the only way is trying to do it at cool times. On your treadmill with a fan might work, I am going to try that tonight.

If all else fails, just wait it out. It's the UK and the sun won't last that much longer surely lol.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    First is my first summer as a runner. I'm struggling with the heat. I'm hoping getting up earlier will help but as faery_dust said the heat won't last long in the UK anyway lol
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Managed a run last night - think it is the humidity that gets me more than the heat and it was quite low.

Have ordered a Camelbac type water carrier to see how I go with it.

Must admit that last night I thought I had stepped in gum but it was the pavement being tacky from the heat.

If it does continue it will be the dreadmill though have a colour run in a weeks time at 3pm in the afternoon so if this carries on it will be scorching.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm in Germany and it's ridiculously hot here too. I started running early in the morning or early evenings once it got cooler, alternatively on a few days I exercised indoors because I just couldn't face it and wasn't free to do it when it was cooler.
    On the few days I did go at mid day, I took lots of water with me and kept my pace very slow.
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whereabouts are you, OP? I'm in London and yes, sadly, it's 6am for me too as the evenings are still v warm. It's not so much the heat as the pollen count in the evenings...

I will do the odd run at midday and just take extra water.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm up and out at 7:45, would like to get out earlier, but I like my bed too much!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Whereabouts are you, OP? I'm in London and yes, sadly, it's 6am for me too as the evenings are still v warm. It's not so much the heat as the pollen count in the evenings...

I will do the odd run at midday and just take extra water.

I up north between Leeds and Bradford. Must be even worse in London though.

The colour run is in the centre of Manchester which wont be fun if its going to be 28/29 degrees.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When it is too hot I try to get out mornings. no problem weekends but I am still running evenings at the mo, my lunchtime power walk is parked though that is too hot.

I parkrun too although we did have a nice breeze last saturday so the heat was bearable. Dreadmill should be a last resort in my opinion you can't beat outside running. If you go in the evening and it is still hot don't push too hard or expect too much and as others have said stay hydrated

ETA: oh and a hat might help if the sun is out
  • tealskater
    tealskater Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have started running too - although just on my treadmill. I keep it in my garage, and unfortunately the garage is baking hot when the sun is out. My after-work routine is generally 30 mins Jillian Michaels work-out then 30 mins on the treadmill. Last night was horrific - whilst I have been concentrating on interval training up til now, there was just no way I could manage that in the heat. So I just maintained a steady 10km/hr, and took a couple of 30 sec mini-breaks.

I was thinking of trying to get my run in before work while it is hot - however, I leave the house before 7.00am and 7.30am each day, and I really don't know that I could function much earlier than that! I think I will try and buy a fan to place next to me - one that clips onto the front of the treadmill would be ideal - will have a look on my lunch break!

Ah, who would have predicted that - up here in Scotland - we would be complaining it was too hot!!! :-)

Edit to add - it was 19C when I left the house at 7.25am today - so I would probably still have struggled with an early run this morning! :-)
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I went out for my run early this morning and it was wonderful and cool. It was a bit of a struggle getting up but now I've done my exercise for the day and I get to enjoy the steadily increasing temperature instead of worrying about it!

If you really can't do early mornings then I'd say go later, take some water and decrease your pace. You could make the most of any shade by stopping there and doing some sort of active recovery/strength moves such as squats or lunges so you keep moving and add in an extra element while allowing yourself to cool off a little bit. You could also soak a cap in water before you head out and have that to keep you cool for a bit. How long are you out for?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    The only times I would say it's cool enough to run are early (I was out at 5.30 am this morning) and it was nice and cool, or late evening (after 8pm). You may just have to bite the bullet and get up early if you really wanna run and not die of heat exhaustion....
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I live in London, I would suggest waking up earlier to go when it is cooler. Though i'm going tonight at 5/6 tonight when its still meant to be 27/28c. Meh. atleast there is a bit of water for my dog to jump in every so often!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    its brutal here,, I jumped in the pool then went running, I had people yelling at me to go home, what a joke,,no one comes out in the summer, no one comes out in the winter,, do what you want to do!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I went to Zumba last night and I thought it would be OK - we had quite a breeze, and its inside out of the sun with the windows open. OMG!!!!!! I was so hot sweat was literally dripping off and I finished my whole water bottle - I could easily have had more but hubby had taken the bigger bottle to work so i only had a 500ml (which normaly I only drink half of in class, I drink most at the end). I had a pint of water when I got home!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Well I was out at around 6.30 this morning and that was hot enough, had a couple of glasses of water before I went out and boooom I was away, where possible I'd run in the shade. When it comes to evenings I plan to run around 8ish if been hot during day. Jsut keep the water flowing and sugars