How you keep motivated to work out!

Options
Tell me because I find it hard!
I hate physical exercise but I need to start getting fit!
So how do I stay motivated to do it?
I just hurt and start to complain in my head until I convince myself to stop.
It's a big problem I would like to overcome!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you hurt, IMO you are going too hard. You didn't say what you're doing for workouts, on own, or in a class. But whatever it is, learn to pace yourself so you challenge yourself & make progress, but font totally exhaust, injure, or discourage yourself. Ive worked witha trsiner for 2 yrs, do done on my own, and take a few classes. I've made steady progress but never hurt so bad I couldn't move. Progress in fitness is its own reward & Motivaton. And I'm another one who was no athlete & didnt really like sweaty exercise.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Do you mean hurt as in post work out muscle fatigue? Or while you're working out?

As for motivation, keep in mind that habits are better than motivation. And for keeping you moving, a dog is the best help. But if you don't have or want dogs, find something you love that involves moving. Anything you love - from rollerblading to kayaking to hockey to hiking (oh man, long hikes kill calories! Especially with a kid or backpack on your back!)
  • chamzlila
    chamzlila Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym! Im competitive and i like to challenge and push myself. I have a goal in mind and when i reach it i set a new one
  • its_laura_btw
    its_laura_btw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ahh I wish I were like you guys, so motivated! I bought a exercise bike, and I don't go very fast. I am very unfit so even such a continued 7-10mph makes my legs wish they weren't there. I am planning on doing some light toning next week, but we shall see if I get there.
  • chamzlila
    chamzlila Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how slow you start just as long as you start. Keep at it and soon you will amaze yourself with your progress. For me, that is where the love affair began
  • its_laura_btw
    Options
    I hope so, I want to fall in love with working out so bad. It is my dream to be able to run
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I pushed myself until it became a habit. Now it hurts me worse to NOT workout.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am very unfit as well and have been going to the gym for the last 3 weeks. I have some medical issues that make it difficult to walk. What is keeping me motivated so far is the fact that I am so tired of letting my weight rule me. Now that I have become more active even though I hurt like crazy when I'm working out or on an exercise bike I do get a few hours of relief from my leg muscles. I'm just plain tired of not being able to do some things and I have been like this for 37 years and I refuse to be like this for a day longer. Is it hard yes and do I keep going forward yes! Good luck you can do this!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I hated exercise until I got seriously down about the state of my body and paid for a gym membership. I originally started going to classes at my gym and knowing I'd signed up for it plus the social factor was enough to keep me going and I started to actually enjoy it. now I'm doing a progressive lifting program and it's the constant improvements, constantly seeing myself lifting more and more weight, that gets me super excited about it and keeps me motivated no problem.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had trouble overcoming my innate laziness at the beginning (especially considering that I've had to adjust my wakeup time earlier by 1.5 hours to accommodate my new routine). Now, I can't stand rest days!
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself this is going to be fun and I also keep a picture of me in my purse of my heavest as a reminder never to get that big again
  • its_laura_btw
    Options
    I hope I get to these points soon. That picture in the bag thing, it's a good idea, good to see the change so you don't go back.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Find something you like.. or don't mind too much. I'll walk hours on the treadmill playing games or watching shows, for example. Worth it so I can eat more.
  • its_laura_btw
    Options
    I think I'm getting into my exercise bike. It just hurts my legs. And hurts my butt heh.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think I'm getting into my exercise bike. It just hurts my legs. And hurts my butt heh.

Haha! I HATED the bike in the beginning. My legs were fine, but I couldn't stand that rock-hard seat! You'll get used to it in time. If not, look for a pair of padded bike shorts.

I'm off to the gym shortly for my first upper body workout. I've been itching to start it all day!
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When you start to see some results, this will be the motivator. You'll want to keep doing more just to see where you can take yourself.

They say it takes 21 days to form a new "habit". Keep pushing yourself to that point.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Here's what I do:
    1. Get home from work
    2. Put on workout clothes
    3. Eat dinner and decide I'm not going to workout
    4. Workout anyway
    There's no secret; you just do it.