Lesson learnt - mind those burnt calories(older lady)

Had a lovely walk yesterday. Burnt 700 cal. So my mobile said. I had a substantial lunch, nibbled during afternoon, then a substantial supper. My horror this morning, weight not shifted.

Replies

• dxlee7
    dxlee7 Posts: 23 Member
    Were you expecting loss of weight in the period of a day?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Couple of weeks ago I had a day where I did zero exercise, ate a three large meals and drank beer - I weighed in lighter the following day.

These strange effects are actually quite normal and it is unrealistic of us to assume that what happens on a Monday will show up on the scales (or in some other body measurement) on a Tuesday. Weight loss and/or physical improvements do not happen in a 12, 18, 24 or even 72 hour time frame but over a longer period of time.

So, stick to your exercise and eating plan consistently over a month and you will see the weight trend moving in the right direction.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited May 2016
    I am not sure at all what is needed here.

I am an older lady.
    I just had a fantastic dinner party, expect if I weighed myself in the morning I would be a good couple of pounds up. However I know I will have an intestine l that is fuller than normal and a certain amount of water retention. Substantial meals do that.

(I would have to walk close to 4 hr at 3.5 mph to burn that amount of calories)

It is a short term gain that has little to do with fat.

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    You expected to see a fifth of a pound weight loss the next day?
    If you are "horrified" that didn't happen you really need to change your expectations!

• marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you for replies. That's why this group is so beneficial - we get side tracked, common sense is lost.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    edited May 2016
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    Had a lovely walk yesterday. Burnt 700 cal. So my mobile said. I had a substantial lunch, nibbled during afternoon, then a substantial supper. My horror this morning, weight not shifted.

That must have been some walk! 3 hours or so?

You're fortunate to have been able to get out for a walk like that. :) Where did you go? If you got out into the countryside, you might be interested in the Nature Pics thread here.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10089429/nature-pics#latest

Keep up the good work and you'll get there. But it will probably take a couple weeks before you start seeing a difference.
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    I live in Malawi (AFrica) very special place
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    I live in Malawi (AFrica) very special place

Yes, I imagine! I love to travel and would love to see photos. If you have some from your walks, do post them in that nature pics thread. :)