Pain after weighted glute bridges

Wombat468
Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started glute bridges the other day. Using 50kg on barbell. My gym has a thin foam thing that covers the bar, but my pubic region still feels bruised! Is this just something you get used to?

Ps no DOMS of any description in my glutes, sadly (my glutes are quite strong I think - I use the highest weight on the adductor machine) - I'm not sure that anything was worked out and the bar pain exceeded any muscle pain!

Replies

• The bar should be pushed into your thighs, not resting on your pubic bone.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    even on my thighs, that bar still hurts like hell. I get those yoga mats and fold them up as thick as possible. or if they have that knee mat thats thicker, or i get several folded up yoga mats.

if you haven't done glue bridges before an you aren't sore, you did something wrong. you gotta squeeze your glutes as hard as you can and hold it at the top for a second or two while you squeeze. if it still don't feel it the next day, you are going way too light. I almost always feel some kinda glute exercises soreness the next day. In my program i do sets of 10-12, as heavy as i can so i can barely get the last one up
  • Wombat468
    Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the bar should rest in the crease at the bottom of your thighs. I guess I might not be feeling DOMS because I do 80kg on the abductor, so maybe my bum is already being worked out! I don't think I could handle the bruising from any more weight on the bridges though!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I have found that reverse hypers & curtsy lunges (with weighted BB) activate my glutes the most.
  • SonyaCele
    edited May 2016
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the bar should rest in the crease at the bottom of your thighs. I guess I might not be feeling DOMS because I do 80kg on the abductor, so maybe my bum is already being worked out! I don't think I could handle the bruising from any more weight on the bridges though!

the adductor/abductor machine has nothing to do with weighted glute bridges its a different exercise and different muscles worked. and you can't compare bar weight with machine weight. try squeezing your glutes at the top and have enough weight on the bar that you are exhausted at the 8 or 10th rep. if you can do more than 10 or 12, its too light, add weight, rest and try again. it may take you 4 of 5 sets to get up to a weight that exhausts you, but thats how its done.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Use plates instead
  • Wombat468
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Use plates instead

Sorry, what are plates?
  • Wombat468
    SonyaCele wrote: »

the adductor/abductor machine has nothing to do with weighted glute bridges its a different exercise and different muscles worked. and you can't compare bar weight with machine weight. try squeezing your glutes at the top and have enough weight on the bar that you are exhausted at the 8 or 10th rep. if you can do more than 10 or 12, its too light, add weight, rest and try again. it may take you 4 of 5 sets to get up to a weight that exhausts you, but thats how its done.

Okay. Thank you! But the issue is still that the bar bruises me so much that I can't increase the weight any more right now. Unless my body will just get used to that...
  • Wombat468
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I have found that reverse hypers & curtsy lunges (with weighted BB) activate my glutes the most.

Oh thank you - I'll check those out!

• hhazzouri
    Use plates instead

Sorry, what are plates?

Instead of using a barbell for resistance, use weight plates, you know, the weights you put on barbell.

Like this
    http://jillfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/HS_Bridge_A.jpg
  • SonyaCele
    thats not safe if she's doing 50Kg she'd have to stack up plates which would be very awkward and dangerous, its better to just use the bar and pad it extra and learn how to not get bruised. I push the bar as hard as i can forward onto my thighs, plus tons of padding
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I suggest getting a Squat Sponge for glute bridges and hip thrusts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001LRCGWG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1463353509&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=squat+sponge&dpPl=1&dpID=318pPg-ZhGL&ref=plSrch

I think you should start with a lower weight and work up. Have you done any glute activation exercises?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    I use a very thick yoga mat folded up. Your bar position sounds correct. Make sure your glutes are doing the lifting/thrusting. And do an Isohold up top as @SonyaCele mentioned. If you experience any glute cramping that may be a good sign you are doing it right. If weight is an issue, you can try longer isoholds or single-leg marches with the lighter weight.
  • hhazzouri
    thats not safe if she's doing 50Kg she'd have to stack up plates which would be very awkward and dangerous, its better to just use the bar and pad it extra and learn how to not get bruised. I push the bar as hard as i can forward onto my thighs, plus tons of padding

Because a 50 kg barbell is much safer right?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

50 kg is 110 lbs right?

I would think the barbell would be a lot safer then stacking 110lbs worth of plates. My hands can easily hold onto the barbell. A stack of I want to say 4 plates; not so much. Add to that doing bridges were my face is at the bottom of the incline....doesn't sound even remotely close to safe when I wouldn't be able to properly grip that many plates to keep them in a safe position during the movement.
  • SonyaCele
    edited May 2016

uh, yeah a whole lot safer than stacking up 3 plates on your lap and thrusting your hips up and having them slide down your chest onto your face because its really hard to hold three stacked plates
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    When doing them try lifting your toes off the ground and at the top of the movement try to push your knees outward. Both of those will help you to contract your glutes harder. Also agree with the earlier post about doing a 1-2 second isometric during each rep.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I suggest getting a Squat Sponge for glute bridges and hip thrusts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001LRCGWG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1463353509&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=squat+sponge&dpPl=1&dpID=318pPg-ZhGL&ref=plSrch

I think you should start with a lower weight and work up. Have you done any glute activation exercises?

The squat sponge works wonders for the glute bridge...I never use it for squats, but always for these.

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited May 2016
    Squat sponge for sure. Also, when I started weighted hip thrusts and glute bridges it definitely felt bruised where the bar hit for the first couple times. After that I was fine. It's kind of like, riding a bike or doing a spin class. The first few classes I feel a little bruised where I make contact with the seat, after the first couple classes I'm good to go. I love hip thrusts and glute bridges and I hope the bruising pain goes away for you soon and you can keep doing them. :)