Rice Vinegar vs. Rice Wine - HELP :)

Options
LAC73167
LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
I am making a beef and broccoli recipe today and the recipe calls for Rice wine. I accidentally purchased rice VINEGAR.... Does anyone know if these can substitute for each other? Ive been googling for an hour and STILL have not found a clear answer - some say yes, its the same and some say NO! :smile:

Can anyone answer this question??? (PS I'm REALLY trying not to have to go back to the grocery store. Its only 7AM and I've been there once already :neutral:

Thanks in advance

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Rice vinegar vs. rice wine vinegar -- They are exactly the same thing. There are different types, black, red and white. HOWEVER, DON'T CONFUSE EITHER WITH RICE WINE. This is what it says...a wine and not a vinegar. The rice vinegar is rice wine that has been turned into vinegar. SO, if you actually need RICE WINE, then you either have to go back to the store OR if you have some Sherry you can use that in place of the rice wine
  • LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Rice vinegar vs. rice wine vinegar -- They are exactly the same thing. There are different types, black, red and white. HOWEVER, DON'T CONFUSE EITHER WITH RICE WINE. This is what it says...a wine and not a vinegar. The rice vinegar is rice wine that has been turned into vinegar. SO, if you actually need RICE WINE, then you either have to go back to the store OR if you have some Sherry you can use that in place of the rice wine

Thank you for the clear answer! I appreciate it.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    :)