Eating Fat and Carbs at the Same Time?

Options
RichardD83
RichardD83 Posts: 17 Member
Is it true if you eat fat without carbs your body won't absorb the fat?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No way!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • coopergc
    coopergc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No, not true. Fat slows gastric emptying so when you combine fat with carbs it slows digestion and therefore may help keep you full and satisfied longer.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrr. .....no.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    100% false
  • RichardD83
    RichardD83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I thought the Atkins diet worked because you only ate protein (plus the fat) without carbs and so you body didn't get any fat from your diet and so that's how your body used up its fat stores
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Would be awesome if it were true. Then my 3 egg omelette with cheese and cooked in olive oil wouldn't be nearly 400 calories after all...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    RichardD83 wrote: »
    I thought the Atkins diet worked because you only ate protein (plus the fat) without carbs and so you body didn't get any fat from your diet and so that's how your body used up its fat stores

Huh? No!

Atkins works the same as any other diet - it creates a calorie deficit and you use your body fat to make up the energy shortfall.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

This is a mistaken notion.

That said; there have been a lot of eating patterns presented as the way to go to shed pounds, Atkins being just one of a whole bunch. One that was very popular at one time was written by the actress Suzanne Somers ... She advocated focusing on 'correct foods' in 'correct combinations' but ultimately the plan reduced sugar and carb intake. I had a friend who had a modest amount of weight to lose and followed her eating plan ... and did lose the weight and still follows that eating plan ... however, she also increased her activity level way up and has had problems keeping her weight in check if she slacks off on the exercise ...

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carbs don't matter for weight loss. My 80+lb loss proves that.
    Actually, I am eating carbs with peanut butter right now!

Low carb is a way of eating and is a way to reduce calories, but it is not necessary for fat loss. There are many here (even who posted in this theead) that have lost weight by including carbs. Eating less calories than your body needs to maintain is the way to lose weight. I mean, if you did low carb and ate more calories than you need to maintain your weight, you'd gain weight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If you exchanged every occasion of the word "carbs" with "calories", the statements in that article would be at least 60% more accurate.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals is what matters for weight loss. Simple as that.