Smart One Meals

Options
I recently stocked up my fridge with smart one meals and I plan on having it for breakfast and lunch and my husband will make dinner. Has anyone else tried this and what were your results?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, if it helps you create the needed overall caloric deficit, then it will work. From a health perspective, probably not the most optimal choice of meals to make up a bulk of your diet. Typically these meals are for pure convenience, which for occasional use, is fine; however, due to the preservatives needed (lot of salt) and them being highly processed, not the optimal choice for health.

If its a convenience variable that is the cause for better adherence to your diet, then maybe look into doing meal prepping for the week. Cook one or two meat choices, veg, starch, etc... in bulk for the week and invest in small containers that you can refrigerate/freeze. Weigh and portion out accordingly to your caloric/macro goals. Utilizing whole, single ingredient food options will have a better impact on health, and typically weight/wallet.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did this for a few months. I added a fresh fruit or vegetable on the side. I found it helpful for realizing that my portions were too big and I could be satisfied on less.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I use the meals for lunch because it easy to pack them in a lunch bag and go. I don't always have time to prep and pack regular food in the morning so these work best for me. Many of them have a lot of protein that keep me full between lunch and dinner. I am doing WW and some of them are just too many points to have them for more than 1 meal a day. I add salad, vegetables or baked chips (depending on what I am eating) to create a meal.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that some of these meals are high in salt. Keep an eye on your sodium intake,
    I agree with other posters add a salad with your meal for the extra veg
    (I love the pizzas)
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice meals are better, buuut I love those convenient lunch things

Makes maintaining and weight loss really easy

Watch your sodium though if you're over 40
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice meals are better, buuut I love those convenient lunch things

Makes maintaining and weight loss really easy

Watch your sodium though if you're over 40
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten them for a long time. But when I used to eat them regularly, I would cook, chop and bag individual portions of broccoli and add that to the meal. It made the meal significantly more filling and nutritious for very few extra calories.
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of both salt & sugar intake, particularly if you have health issues related to these factors. They are used in preservatives in even the best frozen meals
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Seconding the Healthy Choice recommendation.

I don't eat them often, but they're great in a pinch.
  • nixxthirteen
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • nixxthirteen
    edited May 2016
    Options
    grr triple post
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had one today, because I didn't have time to make my lunch this morning. They are fine when needed, but the salt content is a little high.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    grr triple post

I thought you were just overly excited about the Healthy Choice meals. :)

OP, I don't think I ever ate 2 frozen meals in one day but I *did* pretty much live off fast food for lunch and a frozen dinner for....er...dinner....when I was on Weight Watchers and it didn't hurt me any so....

As others have said, if you need to watch your sodium, be mindful of that. If they leave you feeling hungry, bulk up with some extra veggies.