Sweat stains?

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
I have two tanks that I run in that I've washed and they came out with dingy light brownish stains. Now my Under Armour running hat has the same. I've never had issues with stained laundry and these are the only things that have come out that way. I just started using Clorox 2 - anyone else had that problem with Dri-Fit type fabrics....kills me that's more than $75 worth of stuff all stained.

If you've had the problem did you get them cleaned again?

I am blaming the Clorox 2 and if I hear from anyone else this happened to them to I am calling them for sure!

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My bf has some underarmor stuff he wears for work and has no problems with stains (and he comes home so flipping sweaty his shirt could be dripping). He uses either liquid Tide or powdered detergent on it. It may be the Clorox 2 reacting with your sweat and the fabric. However, I have more corrosive type sweat (watches and plastic glasses can get kinda funny), and my shirts and stuff stain easily eventhough we use the same type of detergent, granted different fabric.
  • shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    It's the aluminum in your deodorant that causes the stains. Try using a deodorant without it.

Hmm I just reread and saw that your hat has stains too. Perhaps I'm wrong :ohwell:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Along with switching deodorant, never use fabric softener on your dri-fit or under armour clothing. It will break down "stuff" (technical term) that wicks away the sweat.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Maybe Oxyclean would help? Just a thought ... I havent tried it for sweat stains in particular, but it does a bangup job on all organic based stains (blood, grass, baby spitup, etc.)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I can't be the deodorant. Being that the worse of one of the tanks is on the back and the hat.
  • jenniferjames
    Options
    Try a product called krud kutter it will take out anything and it is safe on clothing. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowe's or maybe any hardware store. It will be in there paint department it is a degreaser but you can use it on clothes and won't hurt them. Even if you have washed and dry everything it should still take it out. I use it all the time. Hope this helps!
  • czar1978
    czar1978 Posts: 83
    Options
    Had this in an e-mail this morning; it's from a past issue of Runner's World. I have the same problem with my running shirts. I haven't tried any of these products yet, however.

"It seems like you can wash some shirts over and over and they never fully smell clean. Sure, regular detergents sometimes get the stench out, but they can also strip the performance aspects of the technical fabrics over time or weigh them down with scents and softeners.

Sports washes from Win, Nikwax, and Penguin offer a better shot at getting the smelly residue out of technical tees. Using a range of odor-fighting substances, they penetrate and clean fabrics without damaging them. Shutout Detergent offers an innovative approach, bathing fabrics in silver particles that stay on to keep the apparel stink-free. All four are meant to work in cold water in lieu of regular detergent."

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--13215-0,00.html?cm_mmc=training -_-2010_06_29-_-training -_-GEAR: Stink Be-Gone
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Maybe Oxyclean would help? Just a thought ... I havent tried it for sweat stains in particular, but it does a bangup job on all organic based stains (blood, grass, baby spitup, etc.)

I used Oxyclean on my clothes once, and I broke out into such a rash, it was horrible. Happened to my dad too. That stuff is nasty.

I use Tide Sport with Febreeze, and I love it. Gets my gym clothes nice and un-sweaty and smells really good too!