Best running shoes for painful feet

Options
I've heard a lot of good things--about a different brands. But my nike airmaxs are worn out and my work shoes are also killing me. I barely manage to workout because they cause so much discomfort and the end of the work day, I hobble around my house. I need good shoes advice and I need it now!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The best shoes for me, may not be the best shoes for you.

There are a lot of factors. What are you using them for? If for walking or running, you need to go to a running store and allow them to do an analysis of your gait and make recommendations for you. If you are at a running store, all the brands are good. So, just choose from the shoes that feel the best from the ones recommended by the associate.

If you are using them for other activities, I'll have to defer to others.
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE New Balance fan! If you go into a New Balance store they will measure your feet for you. I have worn size 9 all my life and I actually am an 8 1/2 W- then you can order on-line to get them cheaper. Everyone's feet are different, though! I will say I was in the military and in basic training I got stress fractures in my hips and ankles- the physical therpaist blamed my shoes..his opinion was New Blance and Asics were the best built and quality for running, etc. One last thing- you can try using inserts- I love the $30 ones at New Balance- they also help me strech the life on my shoes MUCH longer.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know the first thing about shoes for actual running. But if you're doing other types of exercise in them and lots of walking, I also recommend New Balance. For 10 years the only shoes I've found to be consistently comfortable for about 10-12 months at a time are NB. Recently I found some Asics that are equally good, but that is only after much trial and error with Nike and a few other brands.

Of course it varies by person, too. Good luck!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Brooks Pure series. Just bought my second pair. Everyone else is right though, you need to be properly fitted and have a gait analysis done.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE New Balance fan! If you go into a New Balance store they will measure your feet for you. I have worn size 9 all my life and I actually am an 8 1/2 W- then you can order on-line to get them cheaper. Everyone's feet are different, though! I will say I was in the military and in basic training I got stress fractures in my hips and ankles- the physical therpaist blamed my shoes..his opinion was New Blance and Asics were the best built and quality for running, etc. One last thing- you can try using inserts- I love the $30 ones at New Balance- they also help me strech the life on my shoes MUCH longer.

Whoa! Just noticed that you also mentioned Asics, which is kind of awesome as those are the only ones I have had good luck with besides NB :-)
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have tired NB and they have always fit oddly. Is it expensive to have your feet measured and gait taken?
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have tired NB and they have always fit oddly. Is it expensive to have your feet measured and gait taken?

At my local running store its free.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

You pay a little more for the shoes (10 to 15 percent maybe) at a specialty store, but the fitting is included.
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great minds, sister!! :)
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options

There are a lot of factors. What are you using them for? If for walking or running, you need to go to a running store and allow them to do an analysis of your gait and make recommendations for you. If you are at a running store, all the brands are good. So, just choose from the shoes that feel the best from the ones recommended by the associate.

As a fellow runner I completely second this advice. The shoes you wear can have a HUGE impact on you and cause all sorts of problems from shin splints to knee pain, etc. At least for your first pair go to a running store and they can fit you in shoes that will work for you for running/walking. You can always order subsequent pairs later or get a few recommendations and then go home and google away to figure out which ones you want to spring for. But definitely go to a running store - your body will thank you:)
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this, I am a fairly new runner and when I was starting my feet were killing me, my shins were killing me, my shoes were not that old. But it turns out when I went to a running center store, those shoes were to big and to wide. They looked at my ankles, and watched my jogging style. And went in back and pulled out 8 pairs of shoes to try.

These places know their stuff, so I would highly recommend going to a running store ( not sports authority or big 5) an actual running store and get fitted. They don't charge for the fitting, but the shoes are a little more. Be prepared to spend at least $100 for a pair of shoes. And be honest with them on the feel and fit of them, really pay attention when you have each pair on so you can get the feel of them..
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I personally have really FLAT feet and always have pain no matter what I wear...and then I met my brooks and I don't have hardly any pain now!!! I run and lift, work and do aerobics in them:) best 150 spent ever:) I am in need of a new pair now...mine lasted a good year and half!!! I wear the Brooks Trance 10 currently...I was fitted at my local running store!