Am I fat!

Options
I won't to lose weight bc I'm not comfortable in how I look in the clothes I want to wear especially around the stomach area I'm 5'4 160 pounds I wand to lose about 15 to 20 pounds people tell me that I look great I don't need to lose but they don't see what I see I currently don't have a problem with my weight I just feel like it wouldn't hurt to lose a few
So tell me
Am I fat?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have no idea.. We all carry weight differently.

For comparison sake. I'm 5"8 147lbs. Goal weight is 143lbs
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 feet and weigh 140 lbs. I workout 5 times a week and watch what I eat.
    People tell me all the time I'm so tiny, but I don't see it. I feel fat and not comfortable in my own skin. What matters MOST is how YOU feel. If you don't like what you see in the mirror no one is going to make you see otherwise.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat @nicole_aqueen. I am fine at 200 where I have maintained for over a year now down from a high of 250. Health has improved but would like to be a solid 38 or < pant size without looking like I swallowed a soccer ball.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Take what other people say with a grain of salt. If you want to lose a few pounds, then do it. If you don't, then don't. Do what makes you happy and makes you feel good about yourself.

I had an aunt who told me I should stop losing weight when I was in the 180's/190's. I'm 5'4.5" and I definitely had more fat on my body then I was comfortable with. I'm in the low 120's now (profile pic) and started recomp 3 weeks ago. My aunt wants me to gain weight now. It's hard to determine if her view of what is healthy is skewed or if she's jealous (she is very obese and when I was younger, with the help of my grandmother, managed to convince my mom that she was underweight when she got her weight down to the 160's at 5'6).
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and 155.....see my post re: body conscious and YOU can tell ME if I am fat. Then you will have your answer :)

Btw....no you are not fat. Feel good about you. And if you don't feel good, do something that makes you feel good.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have no idea.. We all carry weight differently.

For comparison sake. I'm 5"8 147lbs. Goal weight is 143lbs

I'm 5'2" and 158 lbs wearing size 2/4 petite. While I would like to weigh less, I've gotten down to 146 and looked ill (goal was 144 now 155) so how much one weighs is not always a direct reflection on what looks best on the individual. Maybe just work on your body, building strength and cardio endurance and maybe that will help!
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    People's judgement is not something to count on. What matters is what you feel and what you want...so if you feel like losing a few pounds, then go ahead and do it :smile:

And If you want to find whether you're fat or not, you can calculate your body mass index (weight in pounds*703) / (height in inches squared)
    A BMI greater than 24 is overweight, above 30 is obese
    Hope this was helpful :smile:
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm over my BMI for my height. BMI is not always a good barometer, it will need to be revamped soon or done away with.

OP I personally dont think you are fat, but if you are here of all places asking this question, it does not at all indicate you are fat, but it does imply that you are conscious of yourself, with that being said, be like the rest of us and get to working on that. :)
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Fat or just need muscle toning? Up to you either way and nobody else's business.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    Options
    I won't to lose weight bc I'm not comfortable in how I look in the clothes I want to wear especially around the stomach area I'm 5'4 160 pounds I wand to lose about 15 to 20 pounds people tell me that I look great I don't need to lose but they don't see what I see I currently don't have a problem with my weight I just feel like it wouldn't hurt to lose a few
    So tell me
    Am I fat?

You are overweight by your BMI. I have no idea what you look like or the state of your health but just based on that chart you are 15 lbs above the healthy weight range.

I'm 5'4" and 154 lbs and it isn't terrible but I'd really be better off healthwise and clothes would be easier to fit if I lose another 10-30 lbs because I still have a bigger belly area.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Have you checked your BMI? Pretty sure you are classed as over weight by your BMI.

So you feel like losing weight, BMI says over weight, so go ahead lose weight and ignore what others say.

This was exactly what I was going to say. :)

• Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and weigh 153.2 (as of this morning). BMI is finally in normal range, but I DEFINITELY have fat to lose. Belly, back, some in the arms.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You look perfect to me, Nicole.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So tell me
    Am I fat?

Per BMI, yes, you need to lose about 20 lbs to get to a healthy weight. I would set this as a goal, and see how you feel when you get there. Unless you are very athletic and muscular, probably you want to aim for closer to the average healthy BMI, so you are looking to about 40 lbs to lose. But, since everyone is different, I would start with 20 lbs, and see what the mirror says when you get there. For comparison, I am somewhere between 5'5 and 5'6, 127 lbs, exercise a lot, and while I would not call myself fat or feel uncomfortable about my weight, I know I look even better around 115-120.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you are exercising and have a bunch of muscle might be okay, otherwise you are in the overweight category and may want to look at loosing a bit.

As a rough guide, my wife is 5'10" and feels she looks and feels good at around 160 lbs.

Best of luck.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Your current BMI is 27.5. If you lost the 20lbs you mentioned, your BMI would be 24. If you are really muscular, 27.5 is a normal BMI. If your muscle mass is more in the normal for age range, BMI of 24 is within the normal range of 20-25.

What do you feel most comfortable with? You are the only one who has to live in your own skin, you have to decide.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, lose it for yourself, not for others. Everyone carries weight differently so its hard for any of us to say if you are fat or not.... and its not really up to us to tell you that, its about how you feel about yourself.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its a trap