Running - How to avoid losing muscles?

Options
Hi, I read from Internet that distance running causes muscle loss. Is that true and how do I avoid this?
I have been running with slight calories deficit (about 300 - 500) to try to lose some weight (about 15lbs). I lost over 10lbs already. Want to shred another 2% body fat but maintain my muscles, before I go into weight maintenance mode. Is it possible?

Here is my info:
I do easy run (65% - 75% max heart rate) 5 or 6 times a week, 5 - 6 miles (about 1 hour) each time. Sometimes do tempo & long runs.
I usually run early morning without any food.
I also do some crunches, push up & chin up (not a whole lot) like 3 - 4 times a week.

Any advise would be great. thanks

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

I want to add a lifting program to my running schedule but because my schedule is so crazy I can't fit in gym time during race trsining without cutting out running.

To get around this I've added progressive body weight strength training using the You Are Your Own Gym ap. This way I can do it athome without equipment. The program is about 30 mins 4 times a week, but I usually do an hour 3 times a week.

Basically to perserve muscle while running and eating at a deficit you need to add resistance training in whatever form that works for you.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    I have the book. I will try to work harder on resistance training. thanks
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Based on the distances you're running and the modest deficit you're aiming for it's non issue but, as a runner myself, I'm a firm believer in strength training being complimentary to running, especially in respect to injury resistance.

Most of the articles out there are nothing but scaremongering broscience. I've yet to read one actually supported by real research (the plural of anecdote is not data)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Based on the distances you're running and the modest deficit you're aiming for it's non issue but, as a runner myself, I'm a firm believer in strength training being complimentary to running, especially in respect to injury resistance.

Most of the articles out there are nothing but scaremongering broscience. I've yet to read one actually supported by real research (the plural of anecdote is not data)

^ This. Long distance runners are thin because they intentionally get that way to increase their speed and stamina. If you eat enough, make sure that you are getting sufficient protein, and strength train you can build muscle while running, particularly at the distances you are working at. Are there trade offs? Sure, but they're often seriously exaggerated.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

^ This. Long distance runners are thin because they intentionally get that way to increase their speed and stamina. If you eat enough, make sure that you are getting sufficient protein, and strength train you can build muscle while running, particularly at the distances you are working at. Are there trade offs? Sure, but they're often seriously exaggerated.

Second vote for this.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. Basically my trainer said that anything over 1 hour starts burning into muscle gains. Lift heavy, eat enough to fuel your body, protein is your friend and keep those runs around 1 hour or under. You should be good. :)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I`ve been asking myself this exact same question. Everything I`ve read and all the adivce I`ve gotten is in line with what was already said above. Lift Weights. Get in some strength training. Eat well and eat loads of protein. Build muscle.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    That's great. I will dig into lifting weights and eat well with protein to build muscles.

side question, my friends said my face looks a liitle too slim/skinny. And it seems like lifting weight can't help my face.
    Anything I can do to at least keep my face not more skinny? (I understand that I can't spot reduce...)

thanks all.