Hypothyroid Friends!

Options
fitfatcats
fitfatcats Posts: 14 Member
Hi Everyone :smile:

My name is Brittany and I am definitely not new to MFP, haha. Just going to jump right into this..

In 2011, I lost almost 80 pounds by way of Herbalife and found myself leading a pretty destructive path. While it a miracle that I managed to lose so much wait despite my under active thryoid, an eating disorder manifested. Fast forward 5 years later, I gained all of that weight back and then some... :( However, I'm in a much better place in my life emotionally and psychology. I am currently seeing a dietitian and working on creating a healthier lifestyle for myself where the numbers are not so much as important as are the health benefits to live a longer life.

Looking for friends who are motivational, determined, and also have those struggle days.

I truly believe that in order to make a positive change, YOU have to be ready for it. I'm so excited to start this journey again!

Replies

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We have similar stories...

I was DX with thyroid cancer in 2009. I had ballooned up to 250++lbs at the age of 17!! I had my thyroid removed and radiation.. and weight fell off. 20lbs in 2 months with zero diet or exercise changes. Then I started counting calories and developed an eating disorder and exercise addiction. I dropped over 60 pounds but was unhealthy. I planned a pregnancy in 2012 and had to see a nutritionist and therapist while pregnant for my ED because I kept losing weight.

I am now almost 300 pounds.. my TSH never recovered from pregnancy and I hover around a TSH level of 150-175 while taking almost 400mcg of levothyroxine. I found I can lose weight if I take a lot of vitamin D and keep my calories around 1000 with exercising off 500+ three times a week.

I just started back three days ago after seeing my endocrinologist who said he would allow me diet pills if I wanted them, YIKES! WAKE UP CALL!

Let's do this!!
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well if you want to add me. I check in daily. since losing 30 lbs the dr has actually reduced my meds. Still have more weight to lose, but I am getting there. You can too.
  • Theresa_1973
    Theresa_1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Brittany,

I have hypothyroidism, arthritis in my left knee and right hip, plus PCOS, oh and I'm pre-menopausal so my journey has been an interesting one lol

I would be happy for you to add me as a friend - I am in the UK, I log in every day, I post a couple of times a day too... My profile is public (I think) so you can have a sneaky peak at it to find out about me, if you want to.

xXx
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well, I find that if I keep my calories at 1200 and burn 500 calories exercising 6x a week I lose weight. I saw someone mention taking Vit D. I am going to look into that I may add that Vitamin. I have began taking Vit B12 to help with energy and boost my metabolism. I drink Green tea and water all day to boost my metabolism. I have only lost 25lbs in 97 days but I have not gained it back so I will take it.
    Feel free to add me for support.
  • JenniferSchaffer1
    JenniferSchaffer1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have graves disease so I understand how crazy the thyroid can be I started my journey at 400 pounds I had gastric bypass in 2014 I am now down too 210 pounds. I still struggle each day is something new and different. You are more then welcome to add me as a friend I am very active on this site.
  • burtisfamily7
    burtisfamily7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos, autoimmune Hypothyroid. Last US i think i had a 1/3 left of thyroid. I was non functioning for years! I was def hypo, but diagnosed, then decided to destroy and i mean destroy my metabolism with the silly HCG diet. I lost 17 lbs, then after even drinking water I ballooned up and gained. I put that and more back on. For me, getting meds right, NDT. Working on rebooting metabolism, eating every 2 to 3 hrs, at least 10,000 steps, not overdoing it, good sleep, and a diet of good real food. Also rebooting metabolism I upped my calories to 1600 and am losing! I feel Human again! I have my days though, I have lupus also, and 5 kids lol So learning to balance hormones, stress and diet is key!! Somedays I have a hard time moving, and ya know what?? OK!! I take it, own it, and cherish the days I can move! But only being on T4 thyroid meds made me feel like death. I needed the T3 and T4 meds, so I take Armour and then i was like "ohhh, there I am!" :smiley:
  • burtisfamily7
    burtisfamily7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well, I find that if I keep my calories at 1200 and burn 500 calories exercising 6x a week I lose weight. I saw someone mention taking Vit D. I am going to look into that I may add that Vitamin. I have began taking Vit B12 to help with energy and boost my metabolism. I drink Green tea and water all day to boost my metabolism. I have only lost 25lbs in 97 days but I have not gained it back so I will take it.

25 lbs is huge!! Steady wins the race in the long run, so awesome! And Vit D is one of the most important things to do! Im a nurse, and most Hypo patients are deficient! I would start at 5,000 D3 a day. And do you take a b complex with all the Bs or just B12?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroid, PCOS and a gluten intolerance. I have gained and lost the weight of several adults in my lifetime and am really feeling confident that the changes I am making now are the right ones for long term success. Feel free to add me if you'd like to chat.
  • fitfatcats
    Options
    Added you all! Thanks so much for your responses. I must have been really excited, because half of my post doesn't make sense haha.
  • fitfatcats
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    We have similar stories...

I was DX with thyroid cancer in 2009. I had ballooned up to 250++lbs at the age of 17!! I had my thyroid removed and radiation.. and weight fell off. 20lbs in 2 months with zero diet or exercise changes. Then I started counting calories and developed an eating disorder and exercise addiction. I dropped over 60 pounds but was unhealthy. I planned a pregnancy in 2012 and had to see a nutritionist and therapist while pregnant for my ED because I kept losing weight.

I am now almost 300 pounds.. my TSH never recovered from pregnancy and I hover around a TSH level of 150-175 while taking almost 400mcg of levothyroxine. I found I can lose weight if I take a lot of vitamin D and keep my calories around 1000 with exercising off 500+ three times a week.

I just started back three days ago after seeing my endocrinologist who said he would allow me diet pills if I wanted them, YIKES! WAKE UP CALL!

Let's do this!!

YES, so similar! The nutrition clinic I've been going to has this tier of actions. The lowest is diet/exercise, middle is pharmacology (weight loss meds), and the third is surgery. While weight loss medication and surgery works for many, I really want to focus on trying this naturally before I ever have to look at the other options. I'm lucky to have a PCP who is incredibly supportive and has been referring me up the wazoo haha. Just added ya, girl :)
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options

"slow and steady wins the race" 25lbs is a great start, you should celebrate your victory and keep moving forward. I feel like we're all a lot better off if we try to be patient, as hard as that can be. It has taken me more than a year to lose the first 50 lbs. but that's okay, I'm going in the right direction.
  • mbmatzek
    mbmatzek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with thyroid issues in January after gaining 20 pounds last year & being so tired I had to take one or two naps a day. I started medication and my levels are now normal. I work out now nearly daily (Which I have done for years; exercise is a great stress buster!) I now need to monitor my food intake better if I hope to lose this weight. It has made me feel so down & embarrassed about how I look. I could really use support
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Before taking Vitamin D, I would ask my endocrinologist for a blood test so that the correct dosage can be determined.

I had my thyroid removed over 25 years ago (thyroid cancer), lost weight, put back on. Also I find the winter months really depressing and I get very emotional. Last year I had 100% blood work done on everything, it was found out that my Vitamin D was extremely low. My endocrinologist put me on 2000 iu and it was like night and day or lest say my body did a 180% turnaround.

The last two winters have been the best I have felt in a long time. I now also ask a multi-vitamin. I love exercise, but my problem is consistency, I start off really good, once the weight is coming off, I seem to slack off. What I have been doing lately is to ensure that I have a 500 calorie daily deficit (3500 calorie per week) and the weight is shifting. once I stop exercising, the weight returns, so I now what I have to do, exercise. I also do calorie cycling which I have found to be better for me as some days I am hungrier.

Regarding food: I stopped eating soy (tofu) which is hard to do as everything these days seems to have some kind of soy in the ingredients. White flour I eat very rarely, eat brown rice or if I eat white rice its basmati. I pay particular attention to labels which is very important with the condition we have.

For me personally I take synthriod (even though its more expensive), not a believer of the generic drug, especially when the thyroid is so important our daily life - that's my two cents.