TDEE / BMR question

Options
Just making sure I am using the correct setting when calculating BMR/TDEE.

I usually exercise every day, walking anywhere from 45-90 mins per day (the higher walking is usually on Sat & Sun).

I do strength training Tue, Thur, Sat.

When calculating my numbers I have been using Moderate for my activity level.

Should I leave it at this or move up?

Thanks!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd move down...maybe take an average of light active and moderate. I'm training for a 10K and do sprints 3x weekly for 30 minutes and do a long run once or twice per week and strength train 3x weekly and I'm roughly the average of both if that gives you any indication.

Unless you're losing too quickly, I wouldn't increase activity level.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just making sure I am doing things correctly.

Not losing quickly at all. Averaging 1.5 - 2 per week.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Suggest using this, because walking shouldn't count for as many hours as like running, but lifting does.

This is if you want a slightly less-rough estimate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

And that amount of weight loss is great.
    Would you rather it be more but include muscle mass?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

1.5 to 2lbs per week is awesome!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    Options

1.5 to 2lbs per week is awesome!

Thanks! Just making sure it continues.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    Options
    Suggest using this, because walking shouldn't count for as many hours as like running, but lifting does.

This is if you want a slightly less-rough estimate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

And that amount of weight loss is great.
    Would you rather it be more but include muscle mass?

I can't open the spreadsheet at work so I will when I get home tonight. It's all so confusing. I am pleased with the 1.5 - 2 pounds and want it to continue that's why I want to make sure I am using this as effectively as possible. I'm not sure how to answer the question. I have a total of 84 pounds I'd like to lose but also be fit and toned at the same time.

I appreciate all the help
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

That is losing quickly. Congrats. It may not seem like it but that is pretty fast.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    Options

That is losing quickly. Congrats. It may not seem like it but that is pretty fast.

True!! Thanks for the reminder!!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I lose a lb a week and am happy with that. Every time that I lost weight fast, I gained it back because it became a chore to lose. Once I got where i wanted, I went right back to eating the same way before the diet.

As for TDEE/BMR, I have too many variations of my days to stick to the same amount of cals every day. I follow MFP set as sedentary lifestyle (which is 500 cals deficit) and then eat back my exercise cals. And lose 1 lb a week.

I was confused by the TDEE numbers because there are some weeks that I do 6 days a week and there are some that I do 4. There are days that I burn 250 cals and others that I burn 600. And there are days that I am active like crazy separate from fitness and others that I am so lazy a snail would get father than me.