Too Many Vitamins?

Options
Hello all,

I was downing my daily dose of vitamins, and I found myself wondering if it's really necessary that I be taking all of these? Am I double or triple-dosing, on some things? Here's what I take:

Fish Oil (3 capsules per day)
Hair, Skin, and Nail (3 tablets per day)
Multi-vitamin (1 per day)
Alli (3 per day with food)

I read through what I could find, and while there was plenty on food nutrition, I didn't see too much on vitamins. If I'm missing something, please feel free to just link me to it so I can read it for myself. I'm completely lost in all of this stuff! Thank you!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What's in the Hair, Skin, and Nail? Is it stuff that is already in the multi-vitamin? And are you talking about Alli the fat blocker? I don't think you're supposed to take that at the same time as you take vitamins as it will intensify the vitamin-blocking impact the drug may have.
  • MichellePatte92
    MichellePatte92 Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you for responding!

I just checked the ingredients lists, and it does look like they are essentially the same, with the multi-vitamin just providing more of everything. So I guess I can cut those out. Yes, the Alli is the fat-blocker; I didn't see any warnings about not taking it with other vitamins as that is definitely the one thing I pay attention to most. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't have adverse effects. Honestly, I hate taking pills, and if I have to give those up, I'm more than happy with that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I just checked the ingredients lists, and it does look like they are essentially the same, with the multi-vitamin just providing more of everything. So I guess I can cut those out. Yes, the Alli is the fat-blocker; I didn't see any warnings about not taking it with other vitamins as that is definitely the one thing I pay attention to most. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't have adverse effects. Honestly, I hate taking pills, and if I have to give those up, I'm more than happy with that.

I have never taken Alli and I'm not an expert, but the website says that you should take the multi-vitamin at night when you take Alli to maximize the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins in your multi-vitamin. If you take the multi-vitamin around the same time as the Alli, the fat-soluble vitamins (E, K, A, and beta-carotene) may be blocked. I would keep taking the multi-vitamin for sure, as that's recommended when you're on Alli.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic recommends taking vitamins at bedtime and at least two hours after your latest dose of Alli, to help with absorption with fat-soluble vitamins as @janejellyroll said. I would advise taking the fish oil at the same time as your multivitamin for the same reasons.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/alli/art-20047908?pg=2
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I would drop Alli. It can have some adverse affects, such as anal leakage which wouldn't be fun in public. It's not going to accelerate fat loss. Fish oil can be beneficial if you are not eating enough fish (omega's 3s) but you can still be healthy without it, especially if you have a diet with plenty of variety. If you are having issues with your hair, skin, nails, I would suspect its from your lack of dietary fat. Fat is a hormone regulator and will support the growth and sustainment of all of those things. I know some do benefit from biotin (which I suspect is what your vitamin is supplying) but isn't required. And multivitamins are ok. I tend to use them during weight loss, but go off them when trying to maintain or gain.
  • bethismint
    bethismint Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey. Used to work at h n b for year and half and I can say that there is so so much variety with different vitamins and there potency that without knowing the percentages cant say if youre over doing it. Vit b and c (including biotin) can have loads more than recomended dose as your body just takes what it needs. Everything else dont be taking too much as it can have side effects.

Really your wanting something with high vitamin b content as thats an important one for hair skin and nails, metabolism, energy.

Omegas/fish oil good for so many things i think eveyone should take them.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Biotin for hair only works if you have a deficiency.
    Your multivitamin gives you enough to keep a deficiency away.
    I consider hair/skin/nail vitamins pretty much a marketing scam.

Alli only blocks a couple of grams of fat. I don't think it's worth the money.