Pre-workout drink? On a Empty Stomach?

Options
Hello Everyone,

This post is more towards the people who take pre-workout drinks like C4, etc before hitting the gym. Not all the interested in hearing that they don't work, blah blah, blah.

Anyway back to my question to those who use them - Do you take them on an empty stomach and hit the gym or do you eat something with or before (30 minutes) your pre-workout drink?

Thanks for your insight

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I usually will eat an hour or two before my workout and have no issues with pre-workout, but I would think the concern would be dependent on the ingredients. Using C4 as the example, the only potential ingredient that I see that "might" cause some distress on an empty stomach might be the beta-alanine. It would be one of those things where you might try a half a scoop to gauge reaction, then add more subsequently if no issues.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout on an empty stomach definitely makes me feel sick. I use ENGN EVL. I have to have a little something in my stomach to take it.
  • cjdecz
    cjdecz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You should eat something (like a pre-workout meal/ protein-shake) 1hr before hitting the gym. This will give your body fuel it needs to knock out your lifts.

I have a pre-workout meal 1 hrs before hitting the gym and a pre-workout (Pre-Jym) on the drive to the gym (20min before I begin lifting).

Hope this helps.
  • nicolecafarella
    nicolecafarella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach here. I workout as soon as I wake up, so I take my C4 probably 20 minutes before I get to the gym....has never bothered my stomach.
  • Jessika29669
    Jessika29669 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body reacts differently, esp. with all the different products out there. I drink mine (Pulse, by Legion) in the morning fasted bc I work out at 5ish and it doesn't effect me in a negative way at all. You should try both ways and see what you feel better with :smile:
  • brotherjake70
    brotherjake70 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your inputs. I will try all the methods you have suggested.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I dont buy a pre work out drink but i make a fruit and veggie protein shake every morning before i work out and even when i dont. Its my breakfast and keeps me full
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    I dont buy a pre work out drink but i make a fruit and veggie protein shake every morning before i work out and even when i dont. Its my breakfast and keeps me full

This adds nothing to the conversation.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Typically I have it on an empty stomach and it works for me!
  • abragg19
    abragg19 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do them on an empty stomach then workout. I like to have a protein shake right after my workouts as well.
  • Christa_Smith
    Christa_Smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I generally take my C4 on an empty stomach. Twice a week my workouts are 2 1/2 hours long so I'll have a banana for the extra carbs before I take my C4. Neither bother my stomach.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »

"I'll take irrelevant comments for 500 Alex"
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    4:30am, down the preworkout drink and immediately start exercising. I have coffee at about 6am and breakfast at about 7:30am.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've tried both fasted and not fasted, it doesn't really make a difference to me. It just depends if I workout before or after I eat.

Also, a little off topic, but I tried a different preworkout called Curse, green apple flavor and it's delicious, but my gf says it makes my breath stink after I drink it.

Just in case anyone thought of trying it. :neutral:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach.. the whole reason I drink one is because I'm at the gym and literally woke up about 10 minutes ago.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I'll make a shake w/ a scoop of protein powder before drinking my pre-workout. I do it more for energy than upset stomach.
  • barbmaki
    barbmaki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,im new too all of this