Lifting with Ortho Issues?

Options
JessicaMcB
JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
I've been trying to get through to schedule an appointment with my GP all morning so I figured I'd ask here while I wait out the hold music. I have bad knees (my caps subluxate on a dime, a double Fulkerson osteotomy is on the horizon) and all my other joints hyperextend pretty dramatically. My elbows for example can go past 45 degrees in the wrong direction with no effort on my part.

The issue is that having lost a little more than 50lbs I want to start running again and to try the Ketogains 5x5 novice lifting system but am worried about my joints being problematic. How badly would hyper-extending elbows and popping shoulder blades/patellas actually effect form in lifting? I'm thinking (hoping?) my GP can prescribe heavier duty bracing or something to that effect to stabilize everything until I'm able to get in to see my ortho surgeon again?

TIA!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I see those circus people that do weird hyper extension things all the time, and they are super strong and muscular and flexible, but they have mastered complete control of their body. i think you just have to approach weight lifting in a different way . i dont think the hyper extending issues would affect your form, but i think it could be dangerous if you do something wrong. probably go super light until you build up muscle and muscle control to protect your joints, but definitely do whatever the DR says.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    I see those circus people that do weird hyper extension things all the time, and they are super strong and muscular and flexible, but they have mastered complete control of their body. i think you just have to approach weight lifting in a different way . i dont think the hyper extending issues would affect your form, but i think it could be dangerous if you do something wrong. probably go super light until you build up muscle and muscle control to protect your joints, but definitely do whatever the DR says.

I hadn't actually thought about contortionists, that's a good point. Thanks, hoping the receptionist will at some point pluck me out of the hold queue and I can schedule with him to discuss it
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i have some weak joints, i dnot think as bad as yours though, and the best thing for them is to strengthen the muscles and tendons around them, and get that control where you automatically brace and engage muscles to protect them. it takes time but so worth it. You can get your muscles to support your skeleton, rather than your skeleton supporting your body.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd look into KT tape in the interim. As an aside, has your doc done any genetic testing for connective tissue disorders e.g. Ehlers-Danlos? May be something to discuss with them at your next appointment
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    mjudd1990 wrote: »
    I'd look into KT tape in the interim. As an aside, has your doc done any genetic testing for connective tissue disorders e.g. Ehlers-Danlos? May be something to discuss with them at your next appointment

They haven't though a friend with Ehlers-Danlos keeps telling me she thinks I need to be tested (my GP is of the mind its very unlikely because its not a common ailment?). I might bring it up again at my appointment next week. Thank you!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    mjudd1990 wrote: »

^^ This. Have testing done.

I have lupus, behcets, fibro and possible ED. They currently have it dx as Hypermobility Syndrome of Unknown Origin. I lift, and lift heavy. It has actually HELPED me be more in control of my joints and movements, and has made life in general easier with having that control over my body. I use a back brace, and use knee braces after I've had fluid drains in my knees 1x/month, but I don't use the knee braces more than a few times after I have my joint aspirations...I don't need them really.