Disheartened by weight on vegan diet

Options
So I decided to go vegan from vege in March, I have always fluctuated between 61.5-62.5kg depending on time in month however the scale went up to 63.5kg IN TWO days and has only come down to 61.7kg once in almost 40 days now. How can I have gained weight? I am now pretty much only eating fruit and veg, and considering cutting down more as I can't bear anymore weight. I feel like a huge bloated beach ball, can barely eat for the bloating?! Is this normal when going into a vegan diet? Exercising more doesn't seem to be helping.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So I decided to go vegan from vege in March, I have always fluctuated between 61.5-62.5kg depending on time in month however the scale went up to 63.5kg IN TWO days and has only come down to 61.7kg once in almost 40 days now. How can I have gained weight? I am now pretty much only eating fruit and veg, and considering cutting down more as I can't bear anymore weight. I feel like a huge bloated beach ball, can barely eat for the bloating?! Is this normal when going into a vegan diet? Exercising more doesn't seem to be helping.

just throwing some ideas out...

What exactly are you eating now vs. then? Do you have any food intolerances? Are you eating a ton more calories? Are you eating way more fiber?
  • drspoon2013
    drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to eat:
    2 slices toast for breakfast
    A yogurt at break
    A quorn ham sandwich for lunch
    Quorn pieces and veg curry for dinner
    And a mango/papaya or similar throughout the day.

Now I'm having:

A banana
    Half a mango
    Soya beans, peas and a slice of vegan tofu
    Cauliflower and beetroot rice with some spices for dinner
    Stick of celery/a carrot and a handful of tomatoes
    And another type of fruit once a day eg papaya
    Green tea when hungry

• drspoon2013
    drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Vegan doesn't equal weight loss. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Vegan doesn't equal weight loss. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

I know... I am in once that's why I am confused
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you getting more fiber than you were before? Some people report bloating and weight gain when they increase the amount of fiber in their diet quickly.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you weigh all of your solid foods on a food scale? Taking a look at your list of foods, I could easily see going over in calories if I were using package serving sizes and measuring cups to estimate serving sizes.

OP, i got fat on a vegan diet... I've also gotten fit on one. For me, it all comes down to accurate measures using a food scale... I simply cannot use any other method, as I'm absolute crap at estimating serving sizes. Add in the fact that measuring cups are not accurate for dry goods, and that packages can be up to 20% more than what's listed... well, it adds up quickly.

I'd recommend taking a look at this video for a good explanation of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

*Edited for spelling
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I agree about the fibre. I also found that when I am full out vegetarian its not the same as having the lean protien availalbe and my protien intake goes down in relation to the amount of carbohydrates and sugars go up because I eat more dairy and fruit.

Those things all combine to add bloating and edema. However, its worth it for reasons like summer spring market fresh veg and fruit and no guilt about the animals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I used to eat:
    2 slices toast for breakfast
    A yogurt at break
    A quorn ham sandwich for lunch
    Quorn pieces and veg curry for dinner
    And a mango/papaya or similar throughout the day.

Now I'm having:

A banana
    Half a mango
    Soya beans, peas and a slice of vegan tofu
    Cauliflower and beetroot rice with some spices for dinner
    Stick of celery/a carrot and a handful of tomatoes
    And another type of fruit once a day eg papaya
    Green tea when hungry

well, sounds like not only are you eating more fiber, but you're also eating more carbs. You are probably getting some bloating from the high amount of fiber and some water retention as a result of the extra carbs.

I would recommend incorporating some of the higher protein foods you were eating before like quorn/tofu/lentils,etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Just stopped by to say this:
    Do you weigh all of your solid foods on a food scale? Taking a look at your list of foods, I could easily see going over in calories if I were using package serving sizes and measuring cups to estimate serving sizes.

OP, i got fat on a vegan diet... I've also gotten fit on one. For me, it all comes down to accurate measures using a food scale... I simply cannot use any other method, as I'm absolute crap at estimating serving sizes. Add in the fact that measuring cups are not accurate for dry goods, and that packages can be up to 20% more than what's listed... well, it adds up quickly.

I'd recommend taking a look at this video for a good explanation of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

*Edited for spelling

• markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    my cousin went to a vegan diet from a regular S.A.D. and hasn't lost a single pound in 2 years. she is overweight and the vegan diet might seem "healthier" but it hasn't caused any weight loss.