6 meals a day!?

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I used to graze, and getting in a structure, any structure, was imperative. I started with five meals, and then six as I reached goal weight. Then I tried three meals for a short time. Nine months into maintenance, I stopped tracking and decided to rely on appetite alone (but also weighing myself daily) - I discovered I couldn't let myself be as full at every meal for four meals, as when I had three meals, wow, amaze :D I'm still at four meals but with slightly reduced portions, and that seems to stick - I find it easy to get enough variety, but don't have to think too much, I get pleasantly full, and four eating breaks suits my personal rythm.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    lbeebobs wrote: »
    Has anybody ever tried having 6 mini meals a day? I've heard people talk about it and I am a grazer but I was wondering if anyones had any success from it?

Hi
    I do 6 to 7 a day. I eat a Banana when I get up, walk 3 miles, come home and have a Protein Shake and a Serving of cereal with 4 ounces of 1% milk and sweetener. Then 2.5 hours later I have a midmorning snack that can be as simple as a One Egg Egg Salad using No Sugar Added Sweet Relish 0 Calories per serving, some Lite Mayo and a 60 calorie Wrap, Then 2.5 hours I'll have an Apple, a Light & Fit Greek Yogurt 80 calories, and a 200 =/- calorie Lunch, Some of the Lean Cuisine Dinners fit that BTW. Then 2.5 hours I'll have a Mid Afternoon snack, 150 calories of a cookie or a fruit, Then 2.5 hours I'll Have Dinner to Clementines, a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones Entree for example at 200 to 300 calories and another Light & Fit Greek Yogurt 80 calories, Then 2.5 hours 150 calories of fruit or cookie etc.

I end up the day at 1800 calories, Right now I am doing Maintenance after losing 222 Pounds over 2 years. I did that on the 1700 to 1800 calorie I described above. Now that I am not trying to lose I add 200 or 300 calories of fruit to the day.

So to Summarize, Yes 6 mini meals can work, it is completely up to the individual.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It depends upon what you call a "meal" or a "snack". If they add up to your target calories, meet your macros, and feel good, more power to you.
  • lbeebobs
    lbeebobs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of meals, 6 meals. What is the advantage you're looking for with 6 meals?

I've heard it passed around that that is how we should eat, I just don't know how true that is. And I was hoping it'll stop me from snacking. But it's the balance of small meals yet enough about them to fill me up.
  • lbeebobs
    lbeebobs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Has anybody ever tried having 6 mini meals a day? I've heard people talk about it and I am a grazer but I was wondering if anyones had any success from it?

Hi
    I do 6 to 7 a day. I eat a Banana when I get up, walk 3 miles, come home and have a Protein Shake and a Serving of cereal with 4 ounces of 1% milk and sweetener. Then 2.5 hours later I have a midmorning snack that can be as simple as a One Egg Egg Salad using No Sugar Added Sweet Relish 0 Calories per serving, some Lite Mayo and a 60 calorie Wrap, Then 2.5 hours I'll have an Apple, a Light & Fit Greek Yogurt 80 calories, and a 200 =/- calorie Lunch, Some of the Lean Cuisine Dinners fit that BTW. Then 2.5 hours I'll have a Mid Afternoon snack, 150 calories of a cookie or a fruit, Then 2.5 hours I'll Have Dinner to Clementines, a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones Entree for example at 200 to 300 calories and another Light & Fit Greek Yogurt 80 calories, Then 2.5 hours 150 calories of fruit or cookie etc.

I end up the day at 1800 calories, Right now I am doing Maintenance after losing 222 Pounds over 2 years. I did that on the 1700 to 1800 calorie I described above. Now that I am not trying to lose I add 200 or 300 calories of fruit to the day.

So to Summarize, Yes 6 mini meals can work, it is completely up to the individual.

Good Luck
    Roger
    RogerToo wrote: »

Hi

Good Luck
    Roger

Thankyou! Some great ideas there. Congrats on your amazing loss too!
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of meals, 6 meals. What is the advantage you're looking for with 6 meals?

I've heard it passed around that that is how we should eat, I just don't know how true that is. And I was hoping it'll stop me from snacking. But it's the balance of small meals yet enough about them to fill me up.

Hi Again
    FWIW eating Three Square Meals a day is a fairly modern invention IMO.

Back when primitive man was a hunter gatherer I am pretty sure they ate when they found the food. Thus their day could consist of tiny bites throughout the day, I could also be wrong regarding that. That Most likely changed with the introduction of raising crops and animals.

Thank You for the Kind Words
    Roger
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat just 3 meals and a snack. I see an advantage to both ways of eating. I think eating "mini" meals throughout the day can help with craving less food at each sitting and can also see where eating 3 bigger meals can leave you more satisfied. I also think 3 meals a day borderlines on an IF type diet.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it, but I guess I probably eat six meals a day. I just don't call most of them meals.
    If I'm hungry when I wake up, then that's 1 at 4:30AM
    Then I'll have some yogurt or a protein drink around 10:30
    I have lunch at 12:30
    Usually have some small snack between 3 and 5pm
    Dinner around 6:30
    Then dessert/snack around 7:30 or 8
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I dislike that way of eating and more meals tends to make me less satisfied/tempted to eat more, but it's individual, so see if you like it.

Same here.

First grade logics tell me that if I keep poking the sleeping bear (appetite) throughout the day it's gonna wake up and give me trouble.

1 coffee in the morning, 1 light lunch between 2-5 and a hearty dinner at 7:30 pm. No cravings, hunger, midday drowsiness, avoiding meal time, foods with the missus.