What is YOUR Gym Routine???

Options
Hey there!

I recently joined a gym and I love the classes, but I am going today and not taking a class.

I was just curious as to what everyone does while they are at the gym???

More cardio? More weights? Which machines do you like best? How long do you stay there, etc.?

Anything will help.

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Frankie

Replies

• dea5311
    dea5311 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I normally try to workout at least four times a week, Sunday is normally up in the air, if I feel like going then I will but sometimes I don't. I usually work out for about an hour and a half. My normal routine is one hour of cardio, I love love love the Arc trainer, to me this is the best machine for cardio, and plus its easy on the knees. I switch between the Arc trainer, the elliptical machine and the stair climber. Sometimes my hour of cardio is a spin class.

I strength train for a least a half hour for everyday that I am there, alternating between my upper and lower body. This is the schedule I follow when I don't want to take a class or if I am there at a time no classes are being offered.

I also take quite a few classes that would include, Spinning, Kickboxing, RIPPED, Tabatha, PiYo, and Pilates.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I try to workout at least 3-4 days a week. M-W-F I do 45 minutes of total body weight training, with 15-20 minutes of cardio either before or after weights. I do a lot of lunges with dumbells, barbell step ups (with aerobic step), leg press, and ab workouts. I use an app on my phone called Gain Fitness, it provides me with a custom 5 week routine. The other day, I will either take a walk or do another gym workout. This weekend, I did a leg and ab workout (my problem areas) that I am still sore from!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm there Monday through Saturday for about 90 to 120 minutes a day. Wed through Sat I take a 1 hour class, then lift for another hour (SL 5x5 with accessory lifts). On days when there isn't a class I like (Mondays and Tuesdays) I use the treadmill for 30 minutes (HIIT) then lift for an hour.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! This definitely helps!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, overhead press, abs - takes me about 40 minute.

Cardio is done outside - running and biking mostly.

• lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Mostly free weights. Not a fan of machines and I don't feel that they allow you to work as hard.

I don't do cardio at the gym. I am a home program person. Turbofire, Insanity, P90x, T25.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I work out at the gym 5 days a week. This week is:

Mon: 30 min. cardio/ Chest & Legs
    Tues: 30 min cardio/Back & abs
    Wed: 30 min. cardio/Shoulders & legs
    Thurs: 30 min cardio/Tri's & abs
    Fri: 30 min cardio/Bi's & Legs

Leg and ab day I do different exercises like squats, deadlifts,lunges, step ups; floor crunches, planks, ab coaster, captains chair etc.

Lifting is about an hour, sometimes more depending on how much I decide to do that day. Today lifting was 1.5 hours.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    4 times a week I do 10 min elliptical 10 min treadmill and then 10/15 with kettlebells doing the routine I found on an iPhone app
  • ViolentJ01
    ViolentJ01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I currently do P90X2 5-6 times a week, try to throw in a couple runs 3-6 miles twice a week. Then try and get a good bike ride in anywhere from 13 to 25 miles once a week.

Have also complete P90X and Insanity.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I am a creature of habit. I lift in the mornings and do cardio at lunch.

My lifting routine is as follows:
    Monday- Chest- 3-5 exercises
    Tuesday- bis and tris.- 3 or 4 for both
    Wednesday- shoulders 4 exercises
    Thursday - back 4 exercises
    Friday- legs 4 exercises
    Saturday- pot luck- whatever I feel like focusing on that day followed by 30 -65 minutes on the elliptical.
    Sunday is usually a rest day.

I alternate heavy weeks and high rep weeks and use a mixture of free weights and machines I find both have plusses and minuses. My typical lifting session is one hour.

My cardio is simple- 65 minutes on precor elliptical- I usually burn over 1000 calories that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The only reason I belong to a gym is the weight room...if I had room at home I'd build my own...but I don't, so I hit the gym. Cardio machines suck and I'd rather stick a fork in my eye.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 4 days a week and try to get to the heavy bag about twice.

My cardio is beach running and long walks with a pack.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    The only reason I belong to a gym is the weight room...if I had room at home I'd build my own...but I don't, so I hit the gym. Cardio machines suck and I'd rather stick a fork in my eye.

LOL- I have really good headphones and get into a great groove. I also like checcking out the eye candy. Working out alone sucks *kitten*.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Most of my gym time is spent in the weight room. I go M/W/F and warm up for a couple minutes on a bike then hit the weights. I do the core compounds and some isolation work that takes me about 75 minutes. Depending on how I feel, I will sometimes do a 15 minute HIIT session afterwards. These days I'm not there for any other cardio. If I do that then it's usually a run outside.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    m: Arms -heavy lifting; Run 4 miles hills ; Turbo Kickboxing
    Tu: Legs/ back/ core- heavy lift; run 4.5 miles flat
    Wed: Nike Training (HIIT); Les Mills Body Combat
    Th: legs/ arms/ core - heavy lift; run 4.5 miles flat
    F: rest
    S: train run; Nike training
    Sun: back heavy lift; run 4.0 miles flat
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    M-W-F 30 minutes of whatever my trainer tells me to do for the next three months. No cardio involved; all heavy lifting and super sets. I'll go hiking or do an Insanity DVD for cardio if I need it.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I lift heavy four days a week: Chest, Back, Bis&Tris, Shoulders&Legs. I also go to classes at the gym. Mon and Wed I Zumba, Tues is yoga and Thurs is Spinning :)

On the weekends or when I don't feel like going to the classes, I run or elliptical. :)
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Monday: Lift, mix of upper and lower body (Upper, bi's, tri's, shoulders - Lower, squats, dead lifts, lunges)
    Tuesday: Cardio
    Wedsnesday: Lift again
    Thursday: Cardio
    Friday: Lifting again
    Saturday: Cardio

Cardio= Zumba, kick boxing, step class, running outdoors.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    (Ideally, the whole program should be done twice a week)

Day 1

Flat Dumbbell Press (All exercises except ab exercises are 5 sets of 5 reps with the heaviest weight I can handle with proper form)
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Lat Machine
    Cable Row
    Captain's Chair
    Planks

10 to 15 minutes interval work on treadmill
    20 to 15 minutes steady state work on treadmill or elliptical for a total of 30 minutes

Day 2

Shoulder Press
    Biceps Curls
    Preacher Curl Machines
    Close Grip Press
    Lateral Raise: Cable or Resistance Band
    Straight Cable Push down
    Captain's Chair

10 to 15 minutes interval work on treadmill
    20 to 15 minutes steady state work on treadmill or elliptical for a total of 30 minutes

Extra: Assisted pull up, chin up and dip machine, triceps dumbbell overhead extension. Calf raise with weights. Lunges without weights. Stationary bike. Pushups.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    monday- bootcamp
    wednesday- personal trainer
    fri- 20 mins cardio, 40 mins lifting
    sat- same as friday

I'm going to be adding another class most likely on tuesday soon...and maybe thursday :p