How to quit Planet Fitness..??

Options

Replies

• I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    lol really
    I guess people in the Uk are different.. never heard people do it in all my years lol
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I_amnr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I hear you about people hacking on the treadmill next to you, sadly. Personal pet peeve.

Hacking ?

Coughing, clearing throat repeatedly. I swear they ALWAYS pick the treadmill next to me too.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I don't get it. Most of these complaints against PF has to do with liability. In what universe is sandals on workout equipment a good idea? or having gallon jugs that people can trip over? or wearing street clothes? Like, your clothes can get caught in equipment if you're wearing jeans, or a long skirt. They don't want to get sued, it's common sense.

And policies are there for a reason, how do you not know any of this stuff when you sign up? Does PF not have a membership agreement that outlines all their policies?

Would you go on a rollercoaster or carnival ride with super long hair that could get caught in something> no. You'd tie up your hair into a bun or something to prevent an accident. Same thing.

As stated earlier, that not a corporate "hazard" policy. It's to maintain their "no gymtimidation environment", whatever that means.....per their FAQ page.

Not that it really matters on the water...but yes, agreed on the sandals and that this should be pointed out and known when you sign up. Problem is, many gyms don't go through that with you when you do and they really should.

Ok but PF allowes water, just not gallon jugs and to me it doesn't seem like a big drawback.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I don't get it. Most of these complaints against PF has to do with liability. In what universe is sandals on workout equipment a good idea? or having gallon jugs that people can trip over? or wearing street clothes? Like, your clothes can get caught in equipment if you're wearing jeans, or a long skirt. They don't want to get sued, it's common sense.

And policies are there for a reason, how do you not know any of this stuff when you sign up? Does PF not have a membership agreement that outlines all their policies?

Would you go on a rollercoaster or carnival ride with super long hair that could get caught in something> no. You'd tie up your hair into a bun or something to prevent an accident. Same thing.

As stated earlier, that not a corporate "hazard" policy. It's to maintain their "no gymtimidation environment", whatever that means.....per their FAQ page.

Not that it really matters on the water...but yes, agreed on the sandals and that this should be pointed out and known when you sign up. Problem is, many gyms don't go through that with you when you do and they really should.

Ok but PF allowes water, just not gallon jugs and to me it doesn't seem like a big drawback.

It's not a big drawback to me either. The reasoning behind it, however, is absurd.

Someone asked why, I said it has to do with their "real gyms are scary" philosophy.
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Obviously yes my issues would be with (almost) any gym. But being I currently belong to Planet Fitness I was asking how to quit this particular gym. Seems it may or may not be difficult, and I was just asking advice. :)

And for the person who said she is deterred, this very well could just be a personal thing, and the Planet Fitness near you may have a more helpful staff. FWIW, it is not 'just me' who has said the staff at this PF is rude and not helpful, but the manager/owner sees the gym as being busy/bringing in money so they don't care.

*For those saying to just work out at home or walk on my own, I did mention that in a subsequent reply back on page 1. As I said in that reply, I just seem to do better working out at home and walking in my neighborhood or local parks.

Gyms are not for everyone. You may find a really good one.

But the staff certainly should be helpful. Whether it is PF or a private mom and pop type of gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anytime I've ever quit a gym, I've just quit and signed a piece of paper...I've never felt obligated to tell them why...I sign the paper and they give me a receipt and then off I go about my business.

People quit and sign up all of the time...they're used to it.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    pick up a dumbbell from the floor

warning-no-deadlift-gym-rules.jpg

Why do they not allow deadlifts??? I get that it could be a liability issue, but imho it could easily be resolved by having participants sign a waiver and hiring a trainer for the floor specifically there to show newcomers how to use the weights and equipment, assuming they don't have this already...

Because people like me who deadlift are apparently "lunks" and intimidating to their clientele.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Anytime I've ever quit a gym, I've just quit and signed a piece of paper...I've never felt obligated to tell them why...I sign the paper and they give me a receipt and then off I go about my business.

People quit and sign up all of the time...they're used to it.

This. If they ask I'd just say it's no longer convenient for me or some such, unless you want to make a complaint.

The gallon jug thing is just goofy. Like I said, we have no such policy at my gym and it's not an issue. This idea that you have to forbid them is what's annoying. It's the "we keep out the icky people" thing that rubs me the wrong way.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just ask at the desk. You prob won't be forced to talk to the manager. There's nothing "wrong" or nosey with them asking "why"? They probably have a form they have to fill out and check off the reason. That doesn't obligate you to answer. You can say "personal reasons" or "I'd rather not say." They won't take you into the back room and torture you.

Rules about footwear and large heavy water jugs are established for safety reasons. They don't want someone stubbing their toe, or bumping into someone's 16 lb water jug (weight of a gallon), and suing them. I imagine that many gyms have similar type rules. I go to a small privately owned fitness studio. If someone came in wearing sandals, I'm sure they would be asked to put on proper footwear. In another thread, someone posted about falling off the treadmill when they had a momentary distraction and weren't wearing the safety clip. Accidents are real and most businesses do what they can to help avoid them.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Why do they not allow deadlifts??? I get that it could be a liability issue, but imho it could easily be resolved by having participants sign a waiver and hiring a trainer for the floor specifically there to show newcomers how to use the weights and equipment, assuming they don't have this already...

Because people like me who deadlift are apparently "lunks" and intimidating to their clientele.

How is deadlifting intimidating?!?
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you signed a contract, pay the cancellation fee and be done with it. If you didn't sign a contract, just tell them you want to cancel. If you don't want to say why, just say it's personal and be done with it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    Obviously yes my issues would be with (almost) any gym. But being I currently belong to Planet Fitness I was asking how to quit this particular gym. Seems it may or may not be difficult, and I was just asking advice. :)

And for the person who said she is deterred, this very well could just be a personal thing, and the Planet Fitness near you may have a more helpful staff. FWIW, it is not 'just me' who has said the staff at this PF is rude and not helpful, but the manager/owner sees the gym as being busy/bringing in money so they don't care.

*For those saying to just work out at home or walk on my own, I did mention that in a subsequent reply back on page 1. As I said in that reply, I just seem to do better working out at home and walking in my neighborhood or local parks.

Gyms are not for everyone. You may find a really good one.

But the staff certainly should be helpful. Whether it is PF or a private mom and pop type of gym.

You're paying $10 a month. What do you expect the staff to do? For the most part they are competing with fast food places for employees.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just ask at the desk. You prob won't be forced to talk to the manager. There's nothing "wrong" or nosey with them asking "why"? They probably have a form they have to fill out and check off the reason. That doesn't obligate you to answer. You can say "personal reasons" or "I'd rather not say." They won't take you into the back room and torture you.

Rules about footwear and large heavy water jugs are established for safety reasons. They don't want someone stubbing their toe, or bumping into someone's 16 lb water jug (weight of a gallon), and suing them. I imagine that many gyms have similar type rules. I go to a small privately owned fitness studio. If someone came in wearing sandals, I'm sure they would be asked to put on proper footwear. In another thread, someone posted about falling off the treadmill when they had a momentary distraction and weren't wearing the safety clip. Accidents are real and most businesses do what they can to help avoid them.

Not in this case per their website.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread got as long as it did, lol.

OP- in the contract you signed (which you probably should have read before you signed it - oops!) it spells out the terms of your membership (including dress code and other policies and whether you are month to month or term) as well as their cancellation procedure. You can quit PF by sending a letter to the location you use, preferably via certified mail, return receipt requested (so you have documentation proving they received it) stating that you wish to terminate your membership. Then check and make sure they stop taking the $10 a month out of your account. Done. You never have to have human contact at all. Easier and cheaper would be to walk in, tell the person at the front desk you wish to terminate membership and they'll have you sign something to that effect (if you are locked in to a contract term you may have to pay a fee). They might ask you why you are terminating membership (or not - they really don't care). A simple "it's no longer a good fit" will be sufficient; again - they really don't care. NBD.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    repeated in error, sorry
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    When I first joined PF, the first few months were great. The gym was still brand-new to our area, so it was never busy. That was Sept-Oct-Nov-Dec of last year. Then come January, they got busy. Crazy-busy. The parking lot is usually so filled that I have to wait for someone to leave, and I am just one that is not comfortable with people right next to me on the treadmill hacking all over the place for whatever reason (how am I to know they are or are not sick..?)--which surprisingly happens way more than you think. The locker room is always even busy. I am just not comfortable with a place being that busy (read: anxiety).

And then there is the dress code. I know it seems silly, but I really wish I could wear sandals when I am on the treadmill, or other 'no-no' clothing. I am not in the weight room area, so I do not understand. But that is their rules.

And for the love of God they play the same 10 songs over and over. When I go there almost daily for 2 hours at a time, it is like hearing the same CD over and over 3 or 4X a day!! Blah...(I do not like to wear ear plugs)

Yes I know the bulk of my issues are my own personal issues, but there are what they are.

What do I need to do to quit Planet Fitness..?
    I am sure the manager (whom I kind of get along with well) will want to know why, and I just prefer not to say, so if I (very likely) quit, what is a good thing to say that she will not 'pry' to find out why..?

Thanks so much!! :)

Just don't pay the renewal fees. Why should you have to make excuses to the manager or anyone else?

Ime, though, no gym will let you wear sandals on the treadmill. That's not even safe.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

How is deadlifting intimidating?!?

IDK, you'd have to ask them. I usually have to grunt when I do them too, so double whammy.