Creamy Spring Green Soup (vegan, but don't let that scare you away!)

Options
MlleKelly
MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
I LOVE this soup for spring! It uses four (count 'em...FOUR) seasonal green veggies, almond milk, and veggie stock/broth ...and very little else! It's gorgeous, decadent, and perfect for spring.

I amended this recipe from its original form, Asparagus and Pea soup, here: http://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-asparagus-and-pea-soup/

Creamy Spring Green Soup (makes 8 servings)
Prep time: less than 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes

2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
3 medium shallots
4-6 gloves of garlic
1 bag of fresh spinach (9oz)
1 bag frozen sweet peas (10 oz)
1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
2 ripe avocado
3 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
any dried herbs to taste (I used basil and herbs de Provence)

1. Pre-heat oven to 400*. Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with non-stick spray. Toss asparagus in 1/2 tbsp oil, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper. Bake for 15 minutes.
2. While asparagus is roasting, heat remaining oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot (4.5 qt or larger) over medium heat. Mince shallot and garlic. Sauté in oil for 3-5 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Do not burn the garlic!
3. Once the shallots are soft, add the peas, almond milk, and vegetable stock. Salt and pepper to taste, adding in any dry herbs you prefer. Stir to combine.
4. Add spinach. Push spinach under liquid to facilitate wilting. You can cover the pot and simmer at this point for 10 minutes.
5. By this time, the asparagus should be ready to exit the oven. Let it cool, then chop into 1-inch pieces.
6. Using an immersion blender or a food processor*, blend the spinach and pea mixture until there are no chunks. Once the soup is mixed, add the chopped asparagus and repeat. Return mixture to the pot.
7. Peel and pit the avocados. Roughly dice the inner flesh and add to the soup mixture. Blend until smooth.
8. Taste your deliciously green soup and adjust seasonings if needed, and enjoy!!!

8 bountiful servings, 180 calories
Fat: 13g (2 sat, 8 mono, 1 poly, 0 trans)
Carbs: 15g
Fiber: 6g
Protein: 5g
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 270g (depends on the stock/broth you use)
Sugar: 4g

I sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top of mine, some more cracked pepper, and a little drizzle of olive oil. I like to add veggie burgers, Beyond Meat "chicken" strips, or even a poached egg would be amazing.

I've made this recipe so many times from the website and it was always delicious, but then I started adding greens that I had laying around and found that I couldn't live without adding spinach anymore. Just today I added the avocado and I will never EVER EVER NEVER EVER make this soup without avocado EVER again. They add such a filling creaminess, that decadent texture, that healthy dose of fat to make you feel full on 180 calories. OMG. Give it a try. q76r5c75tuxi.jpg
y8giojsvmvfg.jpg
sqebs684m2pj.jpg

Replies

• 64heyjude
    64heyjude Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing. Going to try it. I'm not a big lover of spinach. OK to leave it out or cut down?
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You should be able to leave it out - it's not in the original recipe.