Protein help!

Options
Before working out, I try and have a good portion of protein so I don't lose steam in the middle. As I'm losing weight, I've bumped up the difficulty of my workouts and my normal protein snacks just aren't cutting it anymore. Ideas?

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    What time of day do you workout? Is it muscle fatigue, or are you just running low on energy?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Please open your food diary to public and describe your present workout in some richer detail.
  • notkaseykasem
    notkaseykasem Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    What time of day do you workout? Is it muscle fatigue, or are you just running low on energy?

Low on energy
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Without knowing you caloric intake, macros, and workout routine. There is not much we can help you with.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Without knowing you caloric intake, macros, and workout routine. There is not much we can help you with.

Yeah...this. But just wanted to say that if you think you need to eat more before you workout then eat more. I never ate beforehand but now I have to or I'm screwed. I go to the gym early but usually have a small bowl of cereal, peanut butter crackers, or a protein pancake with a cup of strong coffee...for an added kick in the pants.

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I generally focus on carbs before working out and more carbs and protein after.

My understanding is protein won't do much for energy before and during a workout.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Protiens are not the best source of energy before a woekout. Add carbs to your meal.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Protiens are not the best source of energy before a woekout. Add carbs to your meal.

i was about to say that. proteins are muscle building blocks - complex carbs are fuel.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You won't have digested protein taken just before a workout - any energy boost is just placebo effect.
    Quick digesting carbs for energy. Have a banana for instance.
    The other big factor is the size and duration of any calorie restriction of course.

Really better with protein on concentrating on hitting your daily goal rather than timing.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    what does everyone think about working out on a empty stomach first thing in the morning ?
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    what does everyone think about working out on a empty stomach first thing in the morning ?

I do both light resistance training and cardio ) on alternating days) first thing on an empty stomach. Your fine.