total calorie from food and exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    dualvans wrote: »
    im new to MFP and wear my fitbit HR which syncs to fitbit. I'm bit confused, so forgive this total newbie question! but i have set my calorie goal at 1,330 per my nutrionist. I see in my diary for today that i ate 1,028 calories total but also earned 2,215 calories from exercise i did today, giving me a total of 2,517 as remaining.

what does that mean?? i certainly don't want to be eating 2,517 in calories per day!

Does your Fitbit say you burned 2,215 kCals from exercise, or that you burned 2,215 kCals for the day? If you never got out of bed all day you'd still burn plenty of calories by having a heart beat and a bunch of other biological processes; your Fitbit numbers look very high and might be including your BMR. I weigh more than you and it takes me about 50 bike miles to burn 2,000 kCals.

I'd take your nutritionist's 1,330 calories as a starting point, if you're paying an expert you might as well benefit from their expertise. You said this is for no exercise. You'll want to eat your exercise calories back, but you have the problem of not knowing how many you really burned. Pretty much everybody has that problem, and as people have mentioned, a common "solution" is to eat some fraction of your exercise calories back. Over time, if you log how much you eat, how much you exercise, and how much you weigh, you'll be able to adjust the numbers based on reality.
  • dualvans
    dualvans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i think my numbers are skewered, as of now in my exercise diary with under calorie adjustment, its showing me xx calories from under armor tracker...but i disconnected that. i just set my fitbit as the device to track my steps and any other physical activity.

help?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If your nutritionist told you to eat 1330 then maybe you should try eating 1330 and see what happens. If I was taking the time to go to a nutritionist, as long as I trusted them, I would follow their advice. If I didn't trust them, I'd quit wasting my time going.
  • dualvans
    Options
    If your nutritionist told you to eat 1330 then maybe you should try eating 1330 and see what happens. If I was taking the time to go to a nutritionist, as long as I trusted them, I would follow their advice. If I didn't trust them, I'd quit wasting my time going.

Usually I agree. The nutritionist was an extra service from my primary doctors, barely gave me a quick run down based on my stats, and the amount I told her I wanted to lose.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Usually I agree. The nutritionist was an extra service from my primary doctors, barely gave me a quick run down based on my stats, and the amount I told her I wanted to lose.

Okay gotcha. I went to a registered dietician once and it was a total waste of my time - she was worthless. So I didn't go back... sounds like maybe you didn't get much from yours either. :) Finding the right calorie goal can take a little time - start with a number, try it for a while and adjust from there as needed. You probably can eat more than the 1300 based off your fitbit calorie burn.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Put your numbers into mfp, sync your fitbit. Eat what MFP tells you to, plus 50% of your exercise calories to start. Reassess in 3-4 weeks.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    i think my numbers are skewered, as of now in my exercise diary with under calorie adjustment, its showing me xx calories from under armor tracker...but i disconnected that. i just set my fitbit as the device to track my steps and any other physical activity.

help?

from the website you should see a " - " symbol in a red circle off to the right of the entry. clicking it should delete it. If that doesn't work you will need to email MFP's support to get it fixed.
  • dualvans
    Options

help?

from the website you should see a " - " symbol in a red circle off to the right of the entry. clicking it should delete it. If that doesn't work you will need to email MFP's support to get it fixed.

thanks! that seemed to do the trick, so now it's showing my fitbit calorie adjustment-the calories burned between MFP and fitbit seem to be close, only 136 calories in adjustment.
  • dualvans
    Options
    Put your numbers into mfp, sync your fitbit. Eat what MFP tells you to, plus 50% of your exercise calories to start. Reassess in 3-4 weeks.

i'll try that. Although, today i was very close to my calorie target of 1,330 with 1,270 calories consumed-653 calories from exercise netting me 584 calories. I actually feel quite full this evening after dinner below my max calorie intake, hence having a hard time imaging whether i can consume 1,330 daily plus 50% of my exercise calories. I'll see as the week go by, but that is a very good guidance to base off.