FRUSTRATED!!!

Options
I'm so frustrated with the scale!!!! I only lost 1 pound last week! I know, I know its a loss but 1 pound?! ugh!!! I stick to my 1200 calories and I work out hard every day! Its not like I don't have the weight to lose. I have lost 47 pounds and have at least another 35 pounds to my goal. I earn lots of extra calories through exercise but I haven't used them. I usually stay right at 1200 maybe 1100 calories a day of healthy food. I'm so frustrated!!! What am I doing wrong?!

Replies

• srsprague1215
    Options
    Are you keeping up with how many inches you are losing?? I have lost about 1-2 lbs a week here lately but have lost 4 1/2 inches! Muscle weighs more than fat. So when the scales move slowly (or not at all) just keep in mind that your getting stronger and the muscles that you are developing will melt that fat off easier!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated with the scale!!!! I only lost 1 pound last week!
    . I'm so frustrated!!! What am I doing wrong?!

Expecting Biggest Loser type loses when you live in reality. 1 pound a week is fantastic.

Also undereating and overexercising likely isn't doing you any favors.
  • Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
    You are not eating enough calories. You need to eat >1200 calories per day, and also eat back exercise calories.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    a woman should never go below 1200 calories, especially when working out. body goes into starvation mode and stores more fat.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated with the scale!!!! I only lost 1 pound last week!
    . I'm so frustrated!!! What am I doing wrong?!

Expecting Biggest Loser type loses when you live in reality. 1 pound a week is fantastic.

Also undereating and overexercising likely isn't doing you any favors.
    ^ This. Perhaps reconsider your expectations. You've already lost a lot of weight, so I'm guessing that first chunk has gone at a faster rate? It's normal and to be expected that your weight loss will slow down the closer you get to goal. 1 lb a week is healthy and realistic.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough calories. You need to eat >1200 calories per day, and also eat back exercise calories.

THIS.

MFP EXPECTS you to eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories earned. You aren't doing yourself any favors with all the working out. Check the following articles for a little more information.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I had a dr. tell me that .5 a week is ideal.

I agree with the others, you need to be eating more than 1200/1100 calories.

Kudos to you on your success!!!!

I had to remind myself that this isn't a race. I also don't weigh myself weekly. I try and do it once every 10 days or so.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. You need to figure out your TDEE -20% and BMR: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    I dont expect "biggest loser losses" (but wouldnt that be nice) but I expected more than 1 pound. I was expecting more like 2 at least. Oh, well, its a new day...I'll get to my goal one pound at a time if thats what it takes. :)
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    I'm terrified to eat more than 1200 calories. Maybe I will try to make myself eat back some of my exercise calories earned. I dont feel like I'm hungry though so its hard to eat more when I already feel like I eat quite a bit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm terrified to eat more than 1200 calories. Maybe I will try to make myself eat back some of my exercise calories earned. I dont feel like I'm hungry though so its hard to eat more when I already feel like I eat quite a bit.

Why are you afraid of providing your body with the right amount of nutrition? Would you drive a car with a half tank of gas while being on a long drive? Most women I know eat 1700-2100 calories during their cut phase. In fact, below is a thread of over 500 response of women who do so.

As I always say, "fuel your body to fight the fat"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Try not to look at them as "bonus" calories that you've "earned", but as the calories you're actually being recommended to eat by the programme you have signed up to (MFP). That's how it works. MFP gives you a goal, not factoring in exercise. You exercise, and add those calories to the base goal you got originally. It's not "cheating" to eat those calories, you're actually supposed to.*

Not everyone on here follows MFP as it was designed to work - a lot of people customise their own goal based on their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you do that though, you end up with a higher goal than the one MFP gives you, so it works out very similar to eating back exercise calories.

It's very normal to stop feeling hungry when you're under-eating over time. That doesn't mean you don't need food, it just means your hunger signals are not working properly. To get more calories in without feeling too full, aim for calorie-dense foods. "Healthy" foods don't have to be low in calories. Try things like nuts, peanut butter, seeds, cheese, eggs, full fat dairy, olive oil (add more oil in cooking, or to salads), avocados etc. Drink smoothies, protein shakes, full fat milk. If you're eating anything labelled "low fat" or "lite" or "diet", then switch to the full fat version. Once you manage to eat a little more, you'll probably find your appetite returns.

Editing to add: looking at your diary, it's full of "diet" foods. Cut down on those, and I'm sure you'll find it easier to get the calories in. You don't have to eat diet foods to lose weight, or to be healthy. Instead of a Weight Watchers ice cream bar, why not enjoy a bowl of full fat ice cream?

*(There is of course the issue of the accuracy of calorie burn estimations. If you're using the MFP exercise database, it can be inaccurate, which is why a lot of people only eat back a portion of those calories. It isn't for everyone though (it's pretty accurate for me), so I wouldn't assume that from the get-go.)
  • bhealthyagain
    bhealthyagain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm confused on all of this. People are always saying that you need to eat more than 1200 calories\day, but every calulation I have used tells me that I am only supposed to eat as much as 1200\ day..... and yet I don't lose any weight...I am with you on being frustrated
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm confused on all of this. People are always saying that you need to eat more than 1200 calories\day, but every calulation I have used tells me that I am only supposed to eat as much as 1200\ day..... and yet I don't lose any weight...I am with you on being frustrated
    Either your goals are too aggressive or you are not factoring in exercise. Fueling the body > starving the body. What are your stats (height, weight, age, exercise routine) and we can run the numbers for you. Also, how accurately are you tracking calories, do you weigh and measure foods?
  • bhealthyagain
    bhealthyagain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1, 164 lbs, 27 years old. I am a mother of 2 so i'm constantly on the go. I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred in the mornings and i am on the treadmill for at least 45 min (depending on the needs of the kids) at least 3 times a week. i also cut the grass a lot with a push mower (an acre). Weigh or measure my foods? I count the calories if that's what you mean.... I am on a budget so i try to eat as healthy as i can within my means. A lot of veggies and fruit, i drink protein shakes when i don't get enough protein. I eat mostly chicken when i eat meat. But if i have a steak it's just a small portion. I've lost 45 lbs before doing the same thing i'm doing now..so i'm confused.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated with the scale!!!! I only lost 1 pound last week! I know, I know its a loss but 1 pound?! ugh!!! I stick to my 1200 calories and I work out hard every day! Its not like I don't have the weight to lose. I have lost 47 pounds and have at least another 35 pounds to my goal. I earn lots of extra calories through exercise but I haven't used them. I usually stay right at 1200 maybe 1100 calories a day of healthy food. I'm so frustrated!!! What am I doing wrong?!

You are doing nothing wrong, one pound is one pound less than you were last week.

How much do you expect to lose each week, out of interest?
  • __Di__
    Options

Out of interest, how much do you think she should have lost?
  • __Di__
    Options
    You need to eat more. You need to figure out your TDEE -20% and BMR: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Is not 1lb weightloss per week any good then?
  • onesteptogetfIt
    Options
    Why don't you try the 12 day challenge from tonedvanity.tumblr.com because I just did it and it actually worked. It's not just some crash diet and gets you on the right plan to a healthy ifestyle. You also lose about 1 lb a day so it will give you the higher weight loss you are looking for.
  • __Di__
    Options

Any chance to open your food diary. Do you weigh everything?