Fiancee needs help figuring out caloric intake. Weight is going up instead of down.

Options
Kiyoku
Kiyoku Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, my fiancee and I have been using myfitnesspal for some time now. I've been using it longer, and it seems to be working well enough for me. However, we have tried calculating his BMR and whatnot. I think due to less muscle mass he might not be burning as many calories as a calculator says he would be. So he's intaking more than he should? I don't know. Calculators usually set him around 3,000 BMR. He doesn't consume that much in a day. More around the 2,000 range or sometimes under. His goal is to lose 2 pounds a week. What could be causing his weight to go upwards? Should he start with weight training and building muscle before anything else? Get his thyroid checked (thyroid issues seem to run in his family)? I'm at a bit of a loss because I really want to help him and he's getting discouraged because of his results.

His height: 6 ft. 1 in.
Weight: 385.6
Supposed BMR: 3,199
Is there a calculator which takes into consideration how inactive a person is?

Replies

• Kiyoku
    Kiyoku Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    He's sitting here in the same room. o.o I'm asking because I happened to be on the computer.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You could attempt to use a Katch BMR that takes into account an estimated BF%.

On my profile page - download the Weight Loss spreadsheet to your Google Drive account, or Excel.
    Stay on Simple Setup and Progress tabs at first.
    After looking at sample data in yellow cells, delete all of that.
    Enter in all the data you got - especially in the Body Fat Calc for measurements (skin folds from experienced hands if possible) - use the results of that calc in the cell asking for BF%.

Then be accurate in the Activity Calc.

And yes - weight training should start at first.
    First it'll burn less calories which he doesn't need to eat more of at his size - he's burning enough already. (compared to equal time in cardio)
    Second it'll help retain muscle mass - which will help to keep losing just fat weight.
    Third it'll help him in moving his bigger mass for daily life more and not be hurting from it.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't know why he would even want to know his BMR since he's not in a coma.

You must mean his TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)

He already knows he's eating more than he's burning because he's gaining weight. If he's accurately logging his intake start subtracting calories until he hits on a number that causes him to lose weight. His actual TDEE is irrelevant.

If he wants to lose weight he needs to eat less, apparently a lot less than he's eating now.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Is he logging everything he is eating, and also does he weigh his food when he does? Calories can quickly add up without even realizing it, and what one may think is a "serving" of chips to them, may actually be 2-3 servings and be over 300 calories. If we could see his diary, maybe that would help more.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Check his logging before worrying about calculators.

Weighing food? Logging accurately? Not snacking on stuff when you aren't around and not logging it?