does anyone here use a desk cycle or work on their exercise bike?

Options
itsbasschick
itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
i tried working for a little while on my husband's exercise bike today. 35 minutes passed where i had no real awareness of pedaling but during which i built up quite a sweat. at the end of the 35 minutes, my heart rate was close to where it is when i focus on cycling. so i'm thinking to get a smaller bike and start working a couple hours a day while i pedal.

does anyone else here work while they pedal, either by riding an exercise bike with a built in desk, using a bike at their desk or using an underdesk pedaler? if so, which one do you use and how's it working for you?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    Options
    no responses so far. i'm guessing that bicycling while working may not be a popular thing...
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have the desk cycle. Got it while I was a work at home drone. I like it. It has several settings for resistance and a digital readout for speed, time, distance, and calories. Not sure how much I trust the readings, but I guess it helps you to establish benchmarks. Don't try using it if your office chair has wheels. You'll push yourself away. It takes some futzing with to get to a place where your knees aren't hitting the bottom of the desk and the cycle isn't sliding away from you. It comes with a strap that anchors it to your chair, but I lost mine! It's nice to be able to carry it downstairs and put it in front of the sofa while I am watching TV. Just need to put a few pillows behind me, because sitting up straight makes pedaling more comfortable.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    no responses so far. i'm guessing that bicycling while working may not be a popular thing...

I think that your post just got lost since it was so early this morning. I only saw it when you bumped it. :)
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    thanks - i was interested in the desk cycle and the fit desk. i was very interested in the desk cycle originally, and their customer support is quick and nice, but it has very small cranks - about half the size of normal bike cranks - so i was wondering if i could get my heart rate up using it.

when you use yours, can you get your heart rate up and do some sweating from pedaling?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    I've not tried to get a real aerobic workout with it -- I mostly use it to keep moving with resistance. Doing it for an hour definitely makes my quadriceps feel tingly. I think that the short crank issue might be annoying if you try to do any fast spinning type stuff.
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    thanks for the info.

i'm not planning on doing any fast pedaling but i was pretty happy to be able to get an increase in heart rate and breathing while working yesterday :)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    If I were to compare it with an exercise bike, it definitely leaves much to be desired. It is good for keeping moving and keeping muscles engaged. If the crank was regular sized, I think it would be great. Unfortunately, If the crank was any larger, it could not be used under a desk.
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    good points - thanks :)

i think i'll go for something a little bigger.