Brown rice vs white rice

Replies

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I agree with those who say eat what you like. There is such a minimal difference nutritionally you shouldn't sweat it.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I agree with above posters. I eat brown rice and quinoa because I actually prefer the flavor, I find white rice too tasteless, but then I have never liked normal pasta, white bread, etc. The only reason I don't eat white rice is flavor.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Whole grains, including rice, are generally more healthful. So use brown or white, but don't join the stupid party or man the barricades over it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Both are meh. Bulgur is where it is at!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    mmm.....Basmmmmati rice is delicious. I'm also a fan of quinoa, but if you're having a hard time digesting brown rice, then maybe that would be out as well.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Couscous is my favorite tbh.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    i dont really like brown rice so i dont eat it... could eat white rice (pilaf, risotto, fried rice, plain with butter) just about everyday
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    Jasmine rice all day.

Brown rice started off as the new grain dietary savior that everyone touted at the healthy option, meanwhile people were just parroting what they heard, which is how most dietary changes start from people who don't research anything. So what followed was a lot of broscience and not a whole lot of empirical evidence.

I don't know who likes the taste of brown rice more, but just about anyone u ask who eats it will say it's healthier then white rice. My response, you just keep sheepin' on. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    CrabNebula wrote: »

Yeah, agree, but my preference is wild rice.

Or potatoes. ;-)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I don't know who likes the taste of brown rice more...

I prefer the taste of brown rice.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    My family eats a lot of rice, 4-5 times a week. I typically make 2/3 white and 1/3 brown. I like it better that way and I like that my kids get a little bit more fiber even if it's not much.
  • MrsMoviestar
    MrsMoviestar Posts: 115 Member
    edited May 2016
    Just eat the white rice. What I do is I measure out one cup of cooked rice, if we are having a stir fry or something for dinner where rice is the main staple. I then add extra veggies and protein. It's very filling and you'll feel satisfied
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

I don't know who likes the taste of brown rice more, ...

You rang? I like both, but I prefer the taste of brown rice.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I prefer brown basmati rice, baked in the oven. I learned that tip here. I often throw in a little wild rice for extra texture.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    I like white rice with ketchup.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I prefer brown basmati rice, baked in the oven. I learned that tip here. I often throw in a little wild rice for extra texture.

Baked rice? How do you do that?
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    I like both. Actually all kinds of rice. Actually just food. I like all kinds of food.
  • jmh517
    jmh517 Posts: 7 Member
    You should give cauliflower rice a try. It's incredibly easy to make and much much healthier than rice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I never get why people don't just eat cauliflower if they want cauliflower rather than feeling compelled to pretend it's some other food. Cauliflower is great. It doesn't become a different food if you tediously cut it up into tiny little pieces (or buy it all chopped up that way).

I don't like rice that much myself (cauliflower is better to my taste), but no one needs to cut out rice, which is a perfectly fine food.