Feel the fear

Options
So i'm supposed to go and start with a C25K training group today, it scares the absolute crap outta me! I hate doing anything outside my comfort zone especially when I am not proficient at it. Its also with work.

I don't even know if I like running, i feel all sorts of pressure that I should be able to run, and at least 5k would be respectable, i haven't been able to get past week 4 of the training on my own.

I'm having a mild panic attack, I'm thinking of not doing it. I'm due to leave in like 9mins!

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Only 9 minutes? You better get out of the door girl! I'm not a huge runner but i've found the running community to be super supportive. Don't stress about it, everyone starts somewhere and if it's a C25K group I bet there are plenty of people that are relatively new to running as well. Go now and have fun!
  • Inspired_Momma
    Inspired_Momma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Keladelphia, i have a lot of anxiety when i'm working out with others and in public so it really is a huge challenge for me :( The guys doing it were really supportive and i'm glad I went. We will see how many of those who went today will be there next week, and how many have done the additional 2 sessions we have to do on our own too, so I need to figure out how to get them in.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    @Inspired_Momma please keep going to the sessions. Running will be so good for you by building your self confidence, belief in yourself and by helping you realise it's ok to go out of your comfort zone sometimes. When you start hitting those PB's: distance, time, getting further into C25K than you've been before etc, you'll feel so happy and be brimming with pride.

Do this for yourself, you deserve to be happy and you'll come out the other side a stronger, fitter, happier and healthier person.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Keladelphia, i have a lot of anxiety when i'm working out with others and in public so it really is a huge challenge for me :( The guys doing it were really supportive and i'm glad I went. We will see how many of those who went today will be there next week, and how many have done the additional 2 sessions we have to do on our own too, so I need to figure out how to get them in.

:)

Try to remember that before the next session.

Do you think running a little bit around your own neighborhood an evening a week would help you feel more comfortable at it when you have to in front of other people? Either just being more familiar with doing it, or getting in shape slightly faster could help. Maybe not, I'm trying to be helpful.

You said you don't even know if you like running; when I started, I knew I didn't. I hated it, there was no question. You're already ahead of the game.