39 year old mom, type 1 diabetic

Options
Hi there! My weight has slowly crept up since college. My last pregnancy I topped out at 305, gaining 60 pounds. I ate what I was supposed to but was taking a year's worth of insulin each month at 24 vials. I lost 77 pounds and am back to only 2 vials a month. Insulin = weight gain. This way of eating is amazing not only for losing weight but in how it makes me feel and how much easier it is to control my diabetes. My weight has stalled for a few months and is only now starting to come off again. Looking for some friends to continue this journey.

Replies

• cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    Hi Erika! I'm Cara, and I'm also a type 1. I actually don't remember life prior to finger pokes and injections. At this point in my life (Diabetic 30+ years) I have no complications from the disease. I wish you the best of luck!
  • cmDaffy
    Options
    Hi Erika! I'm Cara, and I'm also a type 1. I actually don't remember life prior to finger pokes and injections. At this point in my life (Diabetic 30+ years) I have no complications from the disease. I wish you the best of luck!
  • cmDaffy
    Options
  • cmDaffy
    Options
    *kitten*... having trouble with the app again! Sorry for the triple posts!
  • Jfitstrong16
    Jfitstrong16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I am so lucky to see your post because my 14 yr old daughter was diagnosed with TD1 2 years ago...and struggles with eating right. It scares us. So you are a role model to us as a 39 yr old Mom! I just started here on MFP to lose weight to improve health and reduce hbp meds. I hope I can encourage you and you can give us some advice along this road to better health :)
  • cmDaffy
    Options
    Hey @Jfitstrong16 How is she doing? I grew up eating fairly low carb... It's so much easier now that it used to be!
  • Jfitstrong16
    Jfitstrong16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cm, she eats alot of super refined kid stuff, even tho I try to encourage her to eat more 'whole' foods. I know she would be better off on a pump, but we have to keep her on the 2 shots/set carbs for meals/snacks. She doesn't really complain about T1D, but doesn't really 'control' it either! How did you manage as a teen?
  • Ketobetic
    Ketobetic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the response :)
    Most teens have a lot of trouble with control. It's hard to eat differently than your friends. With the trend in healthy eating hopefully it won't be as hard for her. Hormones are the worst. There is so much more to blood sugar than just what foods we eat. The pump comes in handy for much of life as you can increase or decrease for custom amounts of time to handle stress, monthly cycles, exercise, even eating at a buffet or heavy fat foods like pizza. Maybe one day that will be an option for her. If she does eat normal teen junk try to get her to eat it with some protein as it will help stabilize the sugars. My doctors had me eating a total of 135 carbs min per day and I spent many years on the blood sugar roller coaster. I am currently eating a low carb diet (30 carbs of vegetables) which has given me a magical kind of control.