What is this weird tofu?

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
39482.png?preset=details

Has anyone seen tofu like this before? It's sold in stores, on the counter, next to pasta sauce. At room temp. All the tofu i've ever had has been like this:

tofu_firm.jpg

And it has to be refrigerated.

What on earth is this stuff? Will it kill me if i buy it? I have searched the web but see nowhere with information about this kind of tofu.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Never seen that before. What does the label say? Specifically, ingredients, usage, and storage?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Never seen that before. What does the label say? Specifically, ingredients, usage, and storage?

Well, it's in danish so i'll try my best.

"Ingredients: tofu, salt, and water"
    "Usage: for stir fry, meat replacement, etc."
    "storage: dry and not hot"

LOL
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Maybe brined, to be shelf stable?

Edit- maybe this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermented_bean_curd
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The website simply says it's tofu, which is what it looks like to me. Apparently the company is all about being "Green" and prefers to use non-throw away containers.

All tofu, once opened, needs to be refrigerated, since it's a fermented product, it usually means there are some live cultures there, which, once opened, can grow into some pretty nasty bacteria.

From the website and translated in Google:

"The tofu is made of organic soybeans and is a 100% vegetable alternative to meat due to. The high protein content. Tofu has a firm texture and a neutral flavor that easily absorbs flavors from spices, marinades and vegetables. Is therefore well suited to stews, spicy wok dishes, steaming soups and delicious salads. Soybeans high protein content has made tofu particularly popular in Asian cuisine.

TOFU * (40%) [soybeans *], water, sea salt.
    * = Organic.

Nutritional information per. 100g. Energy Distribution
    Energy 660 kJ / 160 kcal
    Fat 10.0 g
    -of which saturates 1.5 g
    Carbohydrate 3.8 g
    -of which sugars 1.2 g
    Dietary fiber 0.60 g
    Protein 13.0 g
    Salt 0.01 g"

Seems pretty normal to me... just in a jar.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Maybe brined, to be shelf stable?

*shrug*

I had no idea it could be shelf stable. I mean, i want to buy it because i want some tofu. I dont see any fresh tofu anywhere else here. I'm just so so afraid. :lol:
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    The website simply says it's tofu, which is what it looks like to me. Apparently the company is all about being "Green" and prefers to use non-throw away containers.

All tofu, once opened, needs to be refrigerated, since it's a fermented product, it usually means there are some live cultures there, which, once opened, can grow into some pretty nasty bacteria.

From the website and translated in Google:

"The tofu is made of organic soybeans and is a 100% vegetable alternative to meat due to. The high protein content. Tofu has a firm texture and a neutral flavor that easily absorbs flavors from spices, marinades and vegetables. Is therefore well suited to stews, spicy wok dishes, steaming soups and delicious salads. Soybeans high protein content has made tofu particularly popular in Asian cuisine.

TOFU * (40%) [soybeans *], water, sea salt.
    * = Organic.

Nutritional information per. 100g. Energy Distribution
    Energy 660 kJ / 160 kcal
    Fat 10.0 g
    -of which saturates 1.5 g
    Carbohydrate 3.8 g
    -of which sugars 1.2 g
    Dietary fiber 0.60 g
    Protein 13.0 g
    Salt 0.01 g"

Seems pretty normal to me... just in a jar.

Awesome! Thank you! And yes, the "in a jar" part was what was throwing me off. Never in my life have i seen this.

The more you know!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I've seen tofu that comes in a box type package similar to some soy/almond milks that is shelf stable and unrefrigerated. depending on the packaging I don't think they all need to be until they are opened.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Mori-Nu-Silken-Tofu-Extra-Ounce/dp/B000LKZ86K

I always purchase this shelf-stable brand. Makes it easier to keep on hand. I've never seen it in a jar, but I think it's probably the same concept...
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Silken tofu is shelf stable.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Never seen it in a jar before either. I guess normal packaging is not reususble but glass is, so environmentally it makes sense.
    However, the jar tofu from the ingredients listed is not a "true" firm tofu as it doesn't list a firming agent (I think the additive is 511) or nigari compared to the second tofu, you showed.
    Sorry I should clarify it will be firm but just not as firm.