49 and feeling BLAH!

Options
blueskyajh
blueskyajh Posts: 3 Member
I know I eat more than I should excuse I Like how it tastes vs. being g hungry. I'll do ok one day and then not so well the next. I LOVE to bake and experiment with recipes so Im always baking.... Ugh! Last summer we went to Phoenix and I felt so frumpy in my swim shorts and tank top. I don't need to rock out a string bikini again at age 49 but would love to be less jiggly and more confident.

Replies

• blueskyajh
    blueskyajh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    blueskyajh wrote: »
    I know I eat more than I should excuse I Like how it tastes vs. being g hungry. I'll do ok one day and then not so well the next. I LOVE to bake and experiment with recipes so Im always baking.... Ugh! Last summer we went to Phoenix and I felt so frumpy in my swim shorts and tank top. I don't need to rock out a string bikini again at age 49 but would love to be less jiggly and more confident.

If it's important you'll find a way.... If not, you'll find an excuse.
  • Katwin2013
    Katwin2013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I feel like eating but know I shouldn't I color it is a lot of fun. I understand about the one day good and then the next day you fall apart. I think it goes with our age I am only 3 years older then you and I think about chocolate way to often. I think we need to acknowledge our bodies are changing and find ways to help it. Not easy but we can do it
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Been there done that plenty of times. What you have to do is find a totally selfish why I want to do this for myself. Once you find that reason it becomes easy. For me it just clicked one day and I really haven't given up that much it's just educating yourself and getting yourself in the right frame of mind.

Good luck in your journey.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Your goals are modest. Start weighing on a digital scale and logging everything you eat. Do this every day. See what you are eating. Start learning what a tdee is. tdeecalculator.net. Start learning what macronutrients are. They are listed on your mfp food diary. Learn this little bit and the magic happens in your head as you make some decisions about your life because you want to stop being jiggly and feeling blah. Pretty soon you'll start noticing that you can outrun the frumpy girls of the younger generation.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    As the weight starts coming off you start being more motivated. For now I would suggest planning ONE cheat MEAL per week. Give yourself a time frame and plan for it. Don't go overboard but allow yourself some things that you miss. Wait at least a week before having the cheat meal. Cheat is probably a bad word for it. but call it what you like. If you know that there is a time when you can have that whatever you might be more likely to stick with it. I've lost 30+ pounds and still have at least that much to go but I have started having a bonus meal now and again. It seems to help jump start my loss and for a few days I don't feel like I'm ravenous. I have avoided the high sugar stuff just because I know I can't stop but I do allow myself something like maybe a higher fat sauce or something that I have been craving. One day I made bread and had a couple slices. I know I was over my calories for the day by a few hundred but no harm was done and I was such a happy camper for that hour or so that I savored my bread and butter. Eventually nothing tastes as good as thin feels. It isn't just a saying... It's true!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    This place is for you.
    Stick to it. Take it slow.
    Count every single calorie. Weigh your foods with a food scale.

Switch hobbies.
    Instead of baking with flour, butter, oil and sugar, focus on healthy recipes.
    Just as fun
    Cook a different super healthy dinner every night.
    Experiment with whole grains like farro, barley.
    I found black bean and spinach pasta at a store like whole foods.
    Have fun !
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and eat as well. What has worked for me is a couple of things. First, pre-logging my food is incredibly helpful. I figure out how much I can afford, serve myself that much, eat it, and stop. (Then find something else to amuse myself until the next meal.) After a while, I found that I had more or less broken the connection between "that probably would taste good, and probably would not absolutely bust a gut" vs. "I should actually serve that to myself and ingest it right this minute." Obviously, intuitive eating doesn't serve me well! Our bodies are geared to avoid starvation, not an oversupply of food, so our conscious minds have to step in.

Second, I remind myself that the tasty treat I'm dying to eat isn't going to disappear from the Earth if I don't eat it now. If it's important, I fit it into the budget. If it's not important enough for that, well, tomorrow is another day, maybe I can fit it in then. I don't have to eat every wonderful thing that exists every time I see it, and certainly not in a quantity that's 10 times what I need right then.

One nice side effect of these two approaches is that practically everything I eat now is my absolute favorite food at that moment. If it weren't, I wouldn't waste the space in my calorie budget on it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So there isn't any reason you can't look amazing, age is nothing as far as I'm concerned. I'm 48 and have worked really hard to lose fat and reshape my body with muscle. You have to decide it is something you really want to do and it takes priority over other things. That said you don't have to give up any type of specific foods. You need to understand what your daily calorie burn is and make sure you have a deficit. You will lose weight. You do need to weigh and measure all your foods. I'd suggest some type of strength training to build some muscle. Don't let that scare you it's not that complicated. Good luck on your journey!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way last Summer & Summer before in my tankini & swim skirt. I'm 47 & I'm wearing a bikini this Summer. Deficit + weights=tighter, more trim body. Eat enough protein & set a reasonable deficit and the fat will come off. You can do it!

BTW, I love to cook and make great dinners nearly every night. Daily treats are part of my meal plan & not forbidden. I go out to dinner once a week. It doesn't have to be all or nothing!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I felt the same way last Summer & Summer before in my tankini & swim skirt. I'm 47 & I'm wearing a bikini this Summer. Deficit + weights=tighter, more trim body. Eat enough protein & set a reasonable deficit and the fat will come off. You can do it!

BTW, I love to cook and make great dinners nearly every night. Daily treats are part of my meal plan & not forbidden. I go out to dinner once a week. It doesn't have to be all or nothing!

Well said!