Boosting Calories to help with training?

Options
I'm thinking about increasing my daily calorie goal. I've been stuck at 1700 for months and trying to lift heavy which has just not worked. Don't get me wrong, I'm squatting, deadlifting, and benching more than ever thanks to a linear progression plan but I feel like crap and am utterly unmotivated to get to all of my work outs. I think I am screwing up my metabolism in the end. I'm planning to increase back to 2000 in clean carbs and protein to help build more muscle and recover my metabolism. Anyone done this in the past? How did it work for you?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Well you will have more energy in your workouts with more calories. You'll have overall just more energy. But your carbs don't have to be "clean" in order to see results
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9" female, 177 pounds, and I'm eating 1930 calories per day. Unless you are a lot smaller than you look in your profile pic, you need more food!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mbauer013 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about increasing my daily calorie goal. I've been stuck at 1700 for months and trying to lift heavy which has just not worked. Don't get me wrong, I'm squatting, deadlifting, and benching more than ever thanks to a linear progression plan but I feel like crap and am utterly unmotivated to get to all of my work outs. I think I am screwing up my metabolism in the end. I'm planning to increase back to 2000 in clean carbs and protein to help build more muscle and recover my metabolism. Anyone done this in the past? How did it work for you?

Why not increase all 3 macros?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @mbauer013 You can calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) at websites like scoobysworkshop.com or iifym.com. Once you know your TDEE, subtract 10-20% for weight loss. If you are lifting heavy, you should probably go more toward 10% so you can fuel your lifts. Get enough protein, 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.

When I hit my protein for the day, my carbs and fat usually fall in line, pretty much.
  • mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a bit bigger than you :D , I'm 6'2" about 245-250 depending on the day, but I generally get close to 200 grams of protein already, When I say clean carbs I really mean I need to cut out beer! I am a home brewer so that is hard to do with competitions club meetings etc, but it has come to the point where I'm actually thinking about giving up the hobby for health. I can clearly see the impact during brewing season. Last Nov I was down to 238, I'd like to end up there permanently.
  • mbauer013
    edited May 2016
    Options
    darn app duplicates
  • mbauer013
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry Duplicate
  • mbauer013
    edited May 2016
    Options
    seriously how many times did I hit submit.
  • mbauer013
    Options
    mbauer013 wrote: »

Why not increase all 3 macros?

I will a bit, but carbs is where I cut the most when starting, my current goal for carbs is 30% of total, I'm thinking about a 35/40/25 mix carbs protein and fat at 2000 cal a day to start and may raise again from there if I get the results I am looking for. That would still be 200g of protein, 175g carbs, and 56 grams of fat.