How do I stop being hungry?

Right, so I'm meant to have 1,200 calories a day and I've had 1,400 and yet I'm still hungry! How do you guys manage to curb this and stay full? Any amazing tips or words of advice? Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Make sure you're eating enough protein, fat and fibre.

What are your stats? Do you really need to eat only 1200 cals?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    How much weight have you got to lose, and how many pounds per week weight loss did you set?

I agree with getting enough protein fat and fiber.
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Sometimes you are going to be hungry, that is the nature of weight loss. It should slow down the longer you have been eating the same amount of calories. Drink water, distract yourself, and make sure that your calories are set right.
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Eat greens they help me feel full.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    It's all in how you invest your allotted calories. Nutritionally sound foods will be lower in calories so you can have a higher amount of food that will do a better job at keeping you satisfied.
    My diary is open, feel free to have a look, even though I'm male and have a much higher calorie count but you may get some perspective.
  • jdude3262
    jdude3262 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm hungry a lot but the more I put up with the feeling, the less it bothers me.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Protein and fiber as mentioned above.Also make it a habit to drink a glass or 2 of water with each snack and meal. That way you don't have to think about drinking more water. It just sort of happens automatically with each snack/meal. It'll keep you full and you"ll look and feel better too!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Molly, please please read this book:

"Always Hungry?" by Dr. David Ludwig.

Changed my life. Hope it changes yours.
  • bigd8541
    bigd8541 Posts: 3 Member
    Oatmeal in the morning, 8oz of water if I get hungry during the day, air popped pop corn at night. That usually does the trick for me.
  • natbell17
    natbell17 Posts: 3 Member
    I've had success with eating more protein (around 35% of my calories come from protein), drinking lots of water (you can infuse it if it tastes boring), and eating wholesome foods full of complex carbs and fiber (cut that processed sugar down to a minimum). Also, you might consider re-evaluating if 1,200 calories is enough (sounds like it might not be?). More info would help!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Get enough sleep, enough protein and fiber. Figure out if you are stress eating or eating out of boredom or habit or since you are in front of the TV.
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Make sure you are eating enough protein. Also, eat more low energy density foods (http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/r2p_energy_density.pdf).
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Fiber is a huge help with this. Just realize that, at least for me, it takes about an hour or so after I eat it to feel full. Add some beans, peas, or broccoli to your lunch, or have some oatmeal for breakfast. Add a big glass of water and you'll feel full.
  • Caligirl95076
    Caligirl95076 Posts: 14 Member
    I recommend you increase your protein and eat small more frequent meals. Also drinking water through out the day. Stay away from processed foods and stick to whole proteins such as eggs & meat. for carbs stick to vegetables & fruit
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Sounds like you might not be eating enough calories. I have to agree with eating more protein, fiber..and make sure your fat intake is good (fat satisfies). Also make sure you get your yearly check-up, there are medical reasons for constant hunger that you should be screened for like diabetes.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    All good advice here!!

Another thought: where are you in your cycle? The days before my period (PMS days), I am ravenous. I always increase my calories by 100-400 calories to help. it's pretty common to be very hungry at different points in your cycle, depending on your physiology.

As others stated though: eat more satiating foods, too.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Eat satiating foods - protein, fat and fibre. Plenty of water. I drink herbal tea and eat low calorie foods when I'm feeling snack-y (cucumber slices, air popped popcorn etc). If you're genuinely hungry as opposed to just wanting to eat, maybe revise your calorie goals and lose weight more slowly. 1200 is very low and may not be sustainable for you.
  • Mollyp4321
    Mollyp4321 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks so much for all of the advice guys - I've taken it all on board and found a way of doing things. On my full days at work I'll have 1,600 calories as I'm working harder and then on my short days and days off it's 1,200 - I'm eating more fibre and planning meals ahead. My new go to snack is spiced apple instead of junk food and I'm trying to focus more on just being healthy instead of all my effort being on weight loss and if I need to eat I'll eat!
  • Mollyp4321
    Mollyp4321 Posts: 9 Member
    All good advice here!!

Another thought: where are you in your cycle? The days before my period (PMS days), I am ravenous. I always increase my calories by 100-400 calories to help. it's pretty common to be very hungry at different points in your cycle, depending on your physiology.

All good advice here!!

You know I never thought of that but you're right, it's defiantly partly to do with that so I'll just make allowances and exercise a bit more - thanks :)

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Some foods just fill you up more than others. As others have said, protein, fat, fibre. But exactly which foods are most filling seems to vary from person to person. For instance, my husband finds porridge will keep him going all morning, but it leaves me hungry a couple of hours later. I get better results with cold wholegrain cereal, which will keep me going til lunch. If I really need a low calorie breakfast (eg if I'm going out for dinner) wholegrain toast and a fried egg will keep me going to lunch for a very small calorie total.

Experiment and find out what foods full you up and which ones leave you hungry, it may be different for you than for others.