Sleep Deprived 30-something Breastfeeding Mama with 70+ lbs to lose (& hypothyroiditis)

Options
mab33
mab33 Posts: 242 Member
Hi there, I'm back. I lost a bit of weight before successfully with MFP (40lbs), then gained it all back in a couple weeks (no joke). I have since been diagnosed with Hashimoto's, gained another 25 pounds, and had three pregnancies and one child. I didn't gain any weight during my successful pregnancy, and am still down 15 pounds from that pre-pregnancy weight. BUT. I can't seem to lose any more. I lose a couple pounds, and then the next week it's back. I have 70 pounds to lose to get back to a healthy weight for me. It seems impossible.

I know that to be successful I need to eat my thyroid diet (no dairy, eggs, soy/legumes, gluten, potatoes, rice, dark greens, fish + avoid tomatoes, peppers, grains) and take my meds. But it's so exhausting. I don't have the energy to work full time, cook two separate meals (since my daughter and husband are pasta and potato fans), and care for a very clingy child who doesn't sleep. I have no *me* time, no time to go to the gym to lift heavy things. From the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep, I am working or caretaking or housekeeping. If my daughter slept I would wake earlier and workout, but as it is I am attending to her needs all night.

How do you do it? I could really use some advice and motivation!

Replies

• samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey. That sounds really hard. I was just telling my now-eleven-year-old that when he was a baby I couldn't imagine having any other responsibilities because he was so clingy, I pretty much kept the house clean and took care of him, and nothing else. I couldn't imagine having another kid, or actually cooking anything, or dealing with a metabolic problem, or having a whole other job.

The point is, you're a superhero. You're way out of my league. I know that's not superhelpful of me, but I just wanted you to know that if you ever feel like you ought to be able to pull off everything you want to do in your daily life (fitness, cooking, caregiving, income work, etc.) at least you know you're outdoing mere mortals like me :)

I'm kind of nervous for you because I worry that someone is going to come on here and try to tell you that you must have been logging wrong or something because there's no way you can gain weight while staying within MFP's calorie guidelines. I know you know that's bull-kitten, and I want you to know that I also know Hashimoto's is a real thing.

Okay, my puny advice offering: stock up on healthful convenience foods; offer to let your husband cook his own suppers; hire a housekeeper or cut your hours at work (I know it might not be possible, but if you can cut out something else, it might be worth it); be patient, the clingy babies grow up to be sweet, empathetic, lovable kids; look into why your daughter doesn't sleep, is she sleeping at day care? does she have reflux? is she getting enough to eat in the evening? I don't know, it could be a million things, or she could just be a night owl.

Good luck.

• travelgrl19
    travelgrl19 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I second samwiserabbit in having your husband pick up responsibility for a meal or two. I've been doing that with mine and just letting him know he's on his own and then having something light for myself. As far as exercise, I'm exhausted as well with my 11 month old, but I've been forcing myself to get on the treadmill after she goes to sleep, even if it's not for very long, just to get some activity in. You're back on here, and that's a step in the right direction. :smile:
  • MermaidAmanda10
    MermaidAmanda10 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i'm no help in the food department. As for exercise, the best thing i ever did for myself was buy a barbell, dumbbells and plates. I crank out a workout when the big kids are in bed and the baby's sleeping (he's 8 months and not so good with the sleeping on his own thing). Sometimes all i get is 10 minutes, but it is so much better than nothing.

Just being here is a step in the right direction, I hope you find success.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    mab33 wrote: »

I know that to be successful I need to eat my thyroid diet (no dairy, eggs, soy/legumes, gluten, potatoes, rice, dark greens, fish + avoid tomatoes, peppers, grains) and take my meds.

Based on...what?

I also have Hashimotos and have NEVER heard any of the above except for avoiding soy.

What is your carb intake in G/day? How much exercise are you getting?
  • Believeinme35
    Believeinme35 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm an at home mom. I understand your story all too well. If you're not cooking you're falling over a toy and if you're not falling you're ironing. Anyways.... I'm with you sista. So.. I lost 61 lbs as an at home mom. Gained back 30 and back down 20. I've been on mfp for 4 years now. The biggest thing I've learned to do is to cut myself some slack when I simply couldn't bend past the exhaustion. As earlier mentioned in another post convenience is the vehicle to your success. All you need is to get YOUR own routine. Not anyone else's. No matter what suggestions you may receive the reality is you can eat protein all day and still not lose a pound if you're up half the night like me ( which would explain why I'm just seeing your post and responding)... I found that eating a balanced 1200 calorie plan each day worked for me. So no matter what I made sure I had some ready made items for me because though I'm always cooking I noticed I was never eating. Add me as your friend and I will be happy to travel the journey with you as I still have 86 lbs to lose. You will win the battle!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mab33 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm back. I lost a bit of weight before successfully with MFP (40lbs), then gained it all back in a couple weeks (no joke). I have since been diagnosed with Hashimoto's, gained another 25 pounds, and had three pregnancies and one child. I didn't gain any weight during my successful pregnancy, and am still down 15 pounds from that pre-pregnancy weight. BUT. I can't seem to lose any more. I lose a couple pounds, and then the next week it's back. I have 70 pounds to lose to get back to a healthy weight for me. It seems impossible.

I know that to be successful I need to eat my thyroid diet (no dairy, eggs, soy/legumes, gluten, potatoes, rice, dark greens, fish + avoid tomatoes, peppers, grains) and take my meds. But it's so exhausting. I don't have the energy to work full time, cook two separate meals (since my daughter and husband are pasta and potato fans), and care for a very clingy child who doesn't sleep. I have no *me* time, no time to go to the gym to lift heavy things. From the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep, I am working or caretaking or housekeeping. If my daughter slept I would wake earlier and workout, but as it is I am attending to her needs all night.

Has an endocrinologist told you to follow a specific diet? Because it is something I have only read about, and every single endocrinologist I have asked IRL considers dietary changes nonsense (was diagnosed more than 20 years ago).
    Working out is for health and fitness. Diet changes are for losing weight. Realistically, if you are significantly overweight and also breastfeeding, then to not lose weight, you are eating a lot more than you should (calories, not amount of food). Breastfeeding burns 300-500 calories. So you are eating what you would prepregnancy and these extra calories on top. Count calories accurately, or just start eating less, a bit at a time, until you start losing.
    As for exercise, until your baby starts sleeping better, a walk with the baby is more than enough.
  • Rosiev2014
    Rosiev2014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a mum of 3 with a baby so feel your pain/exhaustion! 2 things that are making me survive are...
    1. Every time I have to go upstairs in my house I go upstairs twice (at least, sometimes I do it 3 times if the kids aren't calling my name and needing me!!) (Climb another flight and make it more of a mini workout!)
    2. I have cook-off days were I cook meals in bulk from scratch so they are fresh and healthy...I make maybe 6-8 portions of each meal and then store these in the freezer...all the joy of convenience food after a day of work but healthier and less expensive too!! I take a day off work to do this and still send the children to the childcare or do this on a weekend when husband can entertain the kids for an hour or two!

I hope you find something that works for you as losing weight is not easy to begin with never mind when you're juggling work, kids, illness etc etc etc etc!!! Lots of good wishes!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. My endocrinologist had me on the diet I mentioned. Apparently it's a common diet for diabetics? I'm not sure. It really did work for weight loss when paired with my meds (which I haven't been taking), and I felt better. Could have been a placebo affect but it did work. I do eat more carbs than I should based on convenience and probably not enough protein. At this point I don't have time to work out. I do some walking mid week and the weekend. Until my husband changes jobs the gym is not possible (then I can go on lunch instead of skipping that break).

Seeing that others are having success gives me hope!