Camping food

Options
2»

Replies

• annaweezer229
    annaweezer229 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We always do campfire banana boats:
    Cut an unpeeled banana lengthwise but not all the way through the peel. Add chocolate chips or chocolate sauce, chopped nuts or peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, marshmallows, etc. Wrap in foil and put on coals for 10 to 15 minutes till its warm/melts the chocolate. Unwrap Foil and eat banana goodness from the peel.

Also we make campfire Apples:
    Core an apple but don't cut it in half. Fill center with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar, sprinkle generously with cinnamon (you can also add raisens or nuts if you like). Wrap in Foil and put on coals until fork tender. We usually do this the first night and bring along some low fat vanilla ice cream in the cooler and eat it ala mode.

I have to have sweets when I camp! :)
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Easy to scan & prelog foods. Just have to adjust servings depending on how hungry.
    We try to minimize trash, so mainly wash & reuse containers or that can be thrown in the fire like corn husks & wax paper.
    Yogurt, fruit & oat parfaits in mason jars- make ahead- for easy breakfast the first morning. Then the empty jars are good for reusable drink glasses.
    Grilled flatbread pizzas- use "flat out" style flat breads topped with some pasta sauce & cheese & pizza toppings (precut & ready to add) for individual pizzas.
    Small zucchinis cooked whole on grill or roasted over the fire on skewers- nice for any vegetarians because can serve on a hot dog bun!
    Veggies/crackers with hummus or bean dip- more filling than than most regular dips, less likely to spoil too.
    A container of egg whites travels better than whole eggs- good for omelettes, frittatas, breakfast burritos, etc.
    Couscous- lightweight if backpacking, cooks quickly if conserving stove gas.
    Premade tamales- just have to reheat!
    If boiling water for coffee or tea, I like bring a steam basket to put over the pan. Can steam veggies, buns, tortillas, tamales while heating water for drinks.
    Grilled pineapple slices, peach or apricot halves, bananas roasted in the peel.