Post-Workout Nutrition

Options
TylerWhiite
TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
Does anyone have any recommendations on what to take for a supplement for post workout? I've been taking ISO-Dymatize and it is good. Was looking to try Whey Gold Standard. If anyone has any tips or recommendations for post workout shakes or any of that, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my go to!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Just eat your regular diet when you want to. There may be some small benefits to timing certain nutrients, but it's really majoring in the minors.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Post workout supplement nutrition for general population serves little purpose with the exception of helping to meet calorie goals if you're trying to surplus.
    One is just better eating food sometime after working out. Don't always believe the hype.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cfalbin
    cfalbin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think post workout nutrition is extremely important. You need carbs to replenish your glycogen stores since that's what gives you energy. You need protein to repair and re-build muscle. You also need amino acids to increase the production of muscle protein. That doesn't mean you need a post workout supplement. You can get all of the above from food, but I find it much more convenient to drink a whey protein shake. I also take a supplement with creatine and glutamine to help with muscle building and repair. The bottom line is if you don't eat after you workout, not only will you be tired, but your body will break down the protein in your muscle for energy leading to loss of muscle mass instead of the gain you're seeking.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used to drink a glass of skim milk with a squirt of hershey's syrup.
    Those were the old days before I knew of protein powders.
    I love Gold Standard. The best I have ever tried. I use a $14 mixer from walmart and make it with ice cold water.
    Costco puts it on sale from time to time (in case you know of someone w/ a membership).
    If I do not eat soon after a workout I find myself ravenous and will eat anything in sight.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    cfalbin wrote: »
    I think post workout nutrition is extremely important. You need carbs to replenish your glycogen stores since that's what gives you energy. You need protein to repair and re-build muscle. You also need amino acids to increase the production of muscle protein. That doesn't mean you need a post workout supplement. You can get all of the above from food, but I find it much more convenient to drink a whey protein shake. I also take a supplement with creatine and glutamine to help with muscle building and repair. The bottom line is if you don't eat after you workout, not only will you be tired, but your body will break down the protein in your muscle for energy leading to loss of muscle mass instead of the gain you're seeking.

And there is a believer in the hype.

Can some difference in the body's absorption of nutrients after a workout be measured, possibly, but does it make any difference to the average person, no.

Just like my car. Suppose to have 33 psi of air in the tires, you can measure very accurately and find there is only 32 psi, can you notice any difference in the performance of the car, no.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cfalbin wrote: »

Your body just don't break down muscle mass like that and you have a good amount of storage capability for glycogen and fat. So unless you are workout out for hours (like running or biking), the likelihood of burning through your glycogen is pretty slim. Also, taking into consideration, it can take hours to breakdown and digest foods, you body should be fueled fairly regularly. The more recent studies said it may help if you eat or drink some carbs/protein before or after a workout within a 2 hour time frame, they still need to further review the science to see how it would compare against total daily nutrition.

OP, find a protein powder you like or just eat a meal around your workout.