Newbie lifter on her first gym visit...

Options
khall86790
khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
Hi guys, so for about 8 months now I've been a cardio girl - well this is no more! I am switching over to lifting as of tonight, I have my first evening at the gym I joined today.
I have a meeting with a personal trainer on Friday to discuss a "plan" but to be honest, I am impatient and I want to do tonight to see what I can figure out on my own (as aside from these forums, all my loss so far has come from my own trial & error).

Has anyone got any tips for machines or weights to lift on my first attempt? I have next to no upper arm strength, can hold myself in plank for about 40 seconds and can only do maybe 3 full push ups, haha. If that's any indication! I just don't want to over do it but I want to do a workout that can be a introduction for me until I have my meeting.

Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Here's a good way to introduce yourself to lifting - dumbbell squats! Grab yourself a pair off the rack, let them hang at your sides, and squat away. Start light to get your legs used to the motion (about 10 reps is enough), then increase a little and do some more. Holding onto the dumbbells will also get your grip ready for deadlifts.

Having a good plank is great - you've got the core strength to stabilize during squats and deadlifts. However, I'd wait for your trainer to show you how to barbell squat, deadlift, and bench.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I hope you find weight training to be fun and beneficial for you.

For someone who's new, no matter what you do, as long as you are careful with form and really pushing yourself, then you'll see initial success.

But, I would suggest trying to find a program and incorporating that into your fitness routine. Because that initial progress does begin to subside if you don't have a plan or guideline to follow.

Some good ones that I see suggested a lot are Starting Strength, New Rules Of Lifting For Women, and a few others. There are one or two groups here on My Fitness Pal that you may want to join.

If you have the budget, a personal trainer at your gym or an independent, might be an option too. You could hire one for 4-8 sessions and then be pretty good to go on your own. They usually cost $25-$35 for a half hour; $50 - $75 for an hour. Sometimes you can get a free consult or a discount on a small package.

Asking questions to fellow lifters at the gym is also an approach. As long as you're not disruptive to their workout, you should find a few folks who are willing to help. And staff members might be able to show you how to use machines, or provide an idea of a beginning circuit program.

Other than that, google beginning weight lifting programs. You can find decent ones on certain sites, like T Nation, Bodybuilding.com, and a few others.

I hope this is of some help. I think the most underrated piece of advice I can say is to try and find someone (either at the gym, or here online) that can help you. It can be pretty overwhelming at first, but with making relationships with people who are experienced, I think it will help you feel more comfortable. Good luck!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I went and asked for advice - the woman took me straight over to the cardio section and starting preaching about the cross fit - euugghhh!
    Not a bother, I used it as a warm up then moved on to some weight machines. I felt too intimidated for the free weights without any guidance so I think maybe this week I will use the machines whilst I wait for my appointment. Who knows, I may get the courage to do some squats before but for now it just felt good to be using a weight for resistance!
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    Great post. I'm also a newcomer to heavy lifting - I start today! I've got a plan all worked out (sort of copied one from bodybuilding.com article about beginner women weightlifting) and intend to keep up with the cardio as well. My goal for the last 13 weeks has been to just move my body and now that I am moving, I want to build my upper body strength and develop some sexy arms. Fortunately, my good friend works at my gym so she can assist me with learning form.