Why up and down.

Options
Hi, I just confuse when I weighed on scales it changes up and down. For example In the morning my scales shows 300g weight loss, but night increase 800g, even I kept my callories limit and did some exercises. Is it normal and why it happens ? Pls advice the correct time to weigh in...morning/afternoon..everyday/week..? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,322 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You always weigh less first thing in the morning. You develop water weight etc during the day. I weigh once a week on the same day and first thing in the morning.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks and appreciate for reply. So do you mean it is liniear with how many litters of water we drink in a day?
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Nice graphic! And interesting day by day achievement monitor so it more motivating, I think. One more thing, mfp also calculate my excersize for exp. it burns +500 calorries. can the effect be indicated daily / directly by weight scales?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rahmat805 wrote: »
    Nice graphic! And interesting day by day achievement monitor so it more motivating, I think. One more thing, mfp also calculate my excersize for exp. it burns +500 calorries. can the effect be indicated daily / directly by weight scales?

Not usually, no. Sometimes runners might show a noticeable water weight drop after a run, but mostly you want to look for a trend like the previous poster showed. Sometimes exercise will temporarily even cause your body to retain water for muscle repairs, it can be difficult to see your exercise almost have the opposite effect in the short term, but that usually passes. Again, focus on overall trends!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Seriously you have to ask why your weight is different at night than in the morning..... sighhh
    what about all that food that you eat and drink that's still in your waste system!

Pick a time to weigh, may that be morning or night but prerferably in morning after toilet and before eating.
    Do that each day or not...thats a personal thing, I like to weigh most days because it teaches me how my body works and why fluctuations happen.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    So based on Sarah's graphic for instance, the progress gain is better concluded by monthly, right?
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Yes sure Im serious off course...sometimes it was happened zig zag scales every day even I weighed in the same time in the morning. So I try to be very happy on my daily weight loss , buy not to be sad when up again...haha..
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use an app similar to Sarah's. I too get very frustrated with the daily ups and downs but find great satisfaction in the overall downward trend. For example, My weight has been within a 2-pound range this week, but overall, I weigh 1.4 pounds less today than I did last Wednesday. Weight loss definitely isn't linear, it's a downward trend over time.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon... Not a race. When you get that part you stop micro managing the details.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    If we follow the callorie rules then weight trend should be down continuesly. But my experience, i got stagnant after 5 kgs loss and just varies in that range. On the other words, its fast to loss 5kgs but very hard to get more. Do you have same experience, and what to do to assure the more weigh loss will come...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If we follow the callorie rules then weight trend should be down continuesly. But my experience, i got stagnant after 5 kgs loss and just varies in that range. On the other words, its fast to loss 5kgs but very hard to get more. Do you have same experience, and what to do to assure the more weigh loss will come...

We wish it were that way, but it doesn't happen that way for us all the time. We go through weeks of "following the rules" with zero indicated weight loss and suddenly several pounds drop off in just a few days. We don't know why it happened that way.

I weigh each morning and stay on a food plan that varies very little, and I keep my sodium intake at a low level and it varies very little as well. This, keeping sodium steady, is one of the best things you can do to convince the scale to show steady weight loss. A day of higher sodium intake causes you to gain several pounds of water to manage that sodium, then your body spends several days slowly excreting the excess sodium and slowly releasing the water held to manage that sodium.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Your weight throughout the day can best be described as:

Current Weight = (True mass + food mass + drink mass + clothes) - (pee + poop + other metabolic excretions).

Weigh at the same time of day and in the same type of clothes (or naked) and you will figure out pretty quickly if the scale is going up or down. I weigh daily and the past month looks like this:

aue3wkun3mq5.png

As you can see it bounces around all over the place... but the overall trend is down!

Thank you Sarah. I love it when people post these weight drop graphs. A graph is worth a thousand words! :)

• rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Thanks for great explanation regarding sodium process. Its motivating.

We wish it were that way, but it doesn't happen that way for us all the time. We go through weeks of "following the rules" with zero indicated weight loss and suddenly several pounds drop off in just a few days. We don't know why it happened that way.

I weigh each morning and stay on a food plan that varies very little, and I keep my sodium intake at a low level and it varies very little as well. This, keeping sodium steady, is one of the best things you can do to convince the scale to show steady weight loss. A day of higher sodium intake causes you to gain several pounds of water to manage that sodium, then your body spends several days slowly excreting the excess sodium and slowly releasing the water held to manage that sodium.

• rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Sodium..is it kind of salt? I have some friends who implement mayo diet by consuming zero salts foods for a 13 days. But I think thats not good based on our understanding, right. I will googling what is sodium ?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Sodium is salt. @rahmat805 we need salt to a certain extent but too much isn't good.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a dialysis nurse. The purpose is to remove excess fluid from people with kidney failure. Everyone is weighed before and after treatment. It is a known fact exactly how much fluid was removed. You would think the weight change would match the fluid removal exactly, but it often doesn't. Sometimes it's more, others less. There is no explanation why these variations happen. They just do. It's the human body. Don't stress over it!

(Please don't even think that anyone could get dialysis to remove unwanted water weight as part of weight loss. I know someone will ask this! :o )
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Your weight throughout the day can best be described as:

Current Weight = (True mass + food mass + drink mass + clothes) - (pee + poop + other metabolic excretions).

Weigh at the same time of day and in the same type of clothes (or naked) and you will figure out pretty quickly if the scale is going up or down. I weigh daily and the past month looks like this:

aue3wkun3mq5.png

As you can see it bounces around all over the place... but the overall trend is down!

Thank you Sarah. I love it when people post these weight drop graphs. A graph is worth a thousand words! :)

Back in the Stone Age when I first lost (right before having kids, 5 years ago) I used to graph my trends manually in Excel...