How to build volume for calves?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
Until about 18 months or so ago, I was a runner. Because of arthritis issues plus an injury, I no longer can run. Recently I have eased my way back to jogging, but I cannot take any risks, so it is slow and small distances, more for fun than actually getting a serious workout out of it.
I am swimming instead, which I love, and also doing pilates and a bit of lifting (mostly for fun at this moment, too little at this point).
So, what I have noticed and do not like is loss of muscle at my calves. I have always had thin legs and thanks to running and dancing and all these now forbidden high impact activities I used to love, they were nicely muscular.
Now, while I have no complaints about thighs or bum, I am noticing the calves are suffering.
Any ideas? I am adding daily calve raises since I noticed the issue, but I wonder what else should/could be added. It is one body part I never had to concern myself with.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How about cycling for your cardio perhaps? No impact and works the calves.
    Always take the stairs instead of lifts/elevators.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weights in the gym! Mine has a calf machine.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The thing with calf muscles is you have to hit them hard. You use your calf muscles every time you walk and run and, humans are very, very good at walking and running but many people who do lots of walking and running still have small calves.

To get the growth you need to run a lot - which you can't do :'( , or work them multiple times a week with heavy weight. Don't get stressed out by the numbers but something like Calf raises for 3 or 4 sets aiming for 12 - 20 reps to failure.

You can do these , standing, sitting, in a machine, Smith machine or free weights but the stressor must be high. If, after a few weeks of this you are still not seeing an improvement, look into Donkey Calf Raises where the stretched ham strings can help with getting the contraction in the calf.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Because of the arthritis and how it has affected my ankle, I cannot use a bike. Only a recumbent bike, and the thought of spending time in a gym to do that, it makes me cringe. I can also not do calf raises with weights to failure, per my physical therapist.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Because of the arthritis and how it has affected my ankle, I cannot use a bike. Only a recumbent bike, and the thought of spending time in a gym to do that, it makes me cringe. I can also not do calf raises with weights to failure, per my physical therapist.
    I did an Audax event recently round the beautiful countryside of the New Forest and spent some time chatting to a guy who was riding a recumbent. So doesn't have to be indoors.

Sorry to hear you are so restricted, it sucks doesn't it? Hope you find something that your ankle will tolerate.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Don't many bodybuilders just get implants? If your insertions are high you are pretty limited, other than getting that nice Texas looking definition.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Can you walk for longer times than you can run? I'm wondering if that may be enough.

My dad has well developed calves (not huge but noticeably muscular) and his only exercise is walking his dogs at a not very fast pace. I know that calf appearance seems to have a genetic component and I'm wondering if you may already have that in your favor but just need the additional time rather than force of the running vs walking foot strike.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I now train calves every other day. I also do high volume, 3 sets of 50 reps. I like doing them on the leg press sled.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Interesting info on training calves from Lyle McDonald.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html/
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I did an Audax event recently round the beautiful countryside of the New Forest and spent some time chatting to a guy who was riding a recumbent. So doesn't have to be indoors.

Sorry to hear you are so restricted, it sucks doesn't it? Hope you find something that your ankle will tolerate.

I had a friend who had an outdoor recumbent bike as well, so while not super common, they are out there.

Also, have you thought about pedal kayaks? Don't know if you are near water, but I've seen a couple different versions around here in FL - some downtown for the tourists to try on the river, and others that the fishermen in the area use. Have no clue if they would help, but I'd think they might. If nothing else, they look like they are fun to be out on!
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Should have clarified I am looking mainly for things to add to my routine, not to replace what I am doing, so a new sport, adding very long walks etc are out of the question at this time.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently, I believe it was from T Nation (I'm on my phone, and it's pretty crappy, or I'd try to find it for you...) that recommended 100 barefoot bodyweight calf raises per day to increase calf size. You can do these while brushing your teeth, watching tv, waiting for the microwave to beep. Lol. I'll try to find the article for you, but it may take some time.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    Walk on sand in bare feet.
    Walk through snow (in boots).
    Walk uphill.
    Walk up and down stairs.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Interesting info on training calves from Lyle McDonald.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html/

Excellent write up!!!

aggelikik, using weights to failure is out for you but what about weighted calf raises without going to failure? You could add some weight, do slow, paused reps and stop after you've got a good pump but have some more left in the tank.
    Slow, paused reps would likely be better for your ankle than the typical bouncing calf raises anyway.