Maintenance for 2 years, now trying to lose a few pounds ... really slow and hard!

Options
I have been at maintenance for two years but never really reaching my goal. So I decided to try to get there now and am doing it by increments rather than setting one goal. I would like to lose 6 more pounds, but am starting with a 2 lb. goal as a loss. I had MFP recalculate my calories and am at 1240 plus whatever gym calories I earn. (I am 5'0", age 69) I have been working at this for about 3 weeks and the scale does not budge. I stay within my calories and continue to workout 5x/week including cardio and weights. My goal range has lowered, but I have never hit that number I want. Is my body holding onto the weight I have maintained? Does it want to stay where it is and is the number I am looking for not smart? Should it be this difficult? Anyone else tried this and had the same issue?

Replies

• benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How many calories were you eating when you were maintaining your weight compared to now? How much of a deficit are you using now?

What was your goal weight range during maintenance compared to now? If your weight range was more than 2 pounds either way, how do you know you've made no progress? Are you using a weight trending app?

Are you exercising the same now as you were before changing your goal? During maintenance did you use the same method to calculate/eat exercise calories that you are now?

As for whether the number you are looking for is "not smart", without knowing your weight and approximate body fat percentage/bmi, no one else can tell you that. If you are already very light or have a low body fat percentage, losing 2-6 more pounds might not be "smart" as in "would not increase your health or wellness" and might mean burning lean tissue to get there.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    As far as the number you're looking for being "not smart" - consider this: sure, you can diet down to a number. You can stick to super-low calories and exercise your head off. But is this what you want to do for the long haul to maintain?

I dieted down to a number. I saw it on the scale! Wow! Then I remembered that I wanted to live an actual life.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining quite a while but let weight creep on over the winter so been cutting last few weeks for the cycling season.
    It's honestly no different now than it ever was, I eat under my maintenance calories (on average) and I lose weight.

I have weeks where I don't lose but I also have weeks where I've lost more than my calorie deficit - on average it's worked as expected. It was always the same during my initial weight loss phase so not unexpected.

First thing to look at is your logging accuracy I would suggest. If you are confident in your accuracy then give it more time.

Can't comment on your target being sensible as there's no information available for anyone else to judge. But even if it was an inappropriate weight loss then you would still be losing in a sustained deficit unless there's some very unusual additional influence at play. Stress? Water retention?

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If you know exactly what you were eating before, and know for certain that you are eating less, you should lose weight. But if you were able to very comfortably maintain at a healthy weight without worrying about it, or watching what you eat so carefully, maybe that is a good healthy weight for you - the weight you ARE when you eat moderately and work out 5x/week.
  • sijomial
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    As far as the number you're looking for being "not smart" - consider this: sure, you can diet down to a number. You can stick to super-low calories and exercise your head off. But is this what you want to do for the long haul to maintain?

I dieted down to a number. I saw it on the scale! Wow! Then I remembered that I wanted to live an actual life.

They wouldn't have to change long term maintenance calories to a significant degree just being 6lbs lighter.
    Maybe 50 - 60 cals a day.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I did this too. I waited for 18 months after reaching my goal range and then went back to lose the last 10 which had crept on (specifically lose the flab between the thighs so I'm more comfortable running in summer).

It was harder than before. But then I had a lot of weight to lose last time around, so it fell off really quickly at first while I got my head around what I was doing. This time it just took me longer to get my act together because I wasn't seeing progress as quickly. I think it's easy to underestimate how motivating it is to see the weight come off when you have more to lose in the first place, which really helps with commitment and habit formation. I've no idea if it is metabolically more difficult to lose the pounds now than before, but I know that it was more difficult mentally, and the outcome was the same.

This time, I found that weight tended to come off in small chunks here and there, go up a bit, then down a bit - so really all over the place and if I hadn't used Happy Scale to log my weight and trend it, I probably would have felt like I wasn't losing. Hormones have a huge impact on how I personally lose weight, so it's possible that you need to take the view over your menstrual cycle to get a decent comparison.

Oh and I decided to actually lose slightly less than the 10lbs in the end. I'm really happy with how I look and feel now, which is actually a good few pounds higher than my lowest. I'm actually leaner than I was 18 months ago since I've done quite a lot of working out, so I'm come to accept that weight is probably more of a moving target and you need to balance it with how you feel, how you look, whether your weight is stopping you from doing what you want to do etc.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    After four years of maintenance I am trying to lose my weight. It has been very slow and hard. But then again, it's probably not harder than it was at the END of my loss, just much slower than the beginning. In my own weight loss, I lost very quickly until I was at the weight I am at now. Then it took my 6 months to lose the last 5 pounds.

So maybe that's why it's taking me longer? But it is slower than I expected.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Over the last several months I have noticed a creep as well. I went from maintaining at the low end of my range to the upper end. I simply cut back a bit on portions and am creeping back down. My point is make a small adjustment downward and watch. I think the biggest mistake people make when losing is to tie weight loss to the calendar.

If you are doing the right things you will get there. Give it time.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Everyone: thanks for all of your helpful advice. I am using Happy Scale which is a great boon and often keeps me from freaking out. It is good to know that others have tried to lose some more after maintenance for quite a while, like me. I do believe that my body just wants to hang onto this particular weight, that has been there for probably 10 years!! @dopeysmelly, thanks for what you said about losing less than the 10 lbs. you wanted to do and being content with that. I turn over in my mind constantly whether or not I really need to do this, but it's become a challenge for me to get there, and I do love a challenge! @vivmom2014, you are right about being a number only, and wanting to live your life about more than that. If I find that this becomes exasperating, I will stop trying to get there, and be satisfied with where I am. Right now, it seems to be a nonissue to have cut back on my calories, and it doesn't seem to be bothering me to make this effort. If it becomes a true headache, I will just maintain where I am. I have gone to a lower 2lb. range, which is very satisfying, so I feel really good about that! Again, thanks to all ... and I hope this thread has been helpful to anyone with my situation!!
  • transformedbyhim56
    transformedbyhim56 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The last ten pounds are always much harder to lose than say 50 pounds. It comes off much more slowly because you are so close to a healthy weight. Increase your exercise a little or switch it up a bit instead of the same old routine, to try and trick your body. If you can exercise in the morning, that is when you get the most calorie burn because your body burns calories all day long. Also be sure to get plenty of sleep. Sleep deprivation can cause weight gain. Just some things to think about.
  • lohlgren
    lohlgren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't very long. In my experience it took 4-5 weeks of consistent logging before starting to lose. Now it's like clockwork, my goal was to lose 7 lbs, but I was curious how much I could lose, and am at 15 lbs. These last pounds were as easy to lose as the first 60 lbs in my 30's. I'm 57 now. Keep the big picture in mind, trust the process, look at your numbers over a 5-6 week span, you will be as successful as you were previously. Don't buy into the idea that 'your body wants to be at this weight'. That's nonsense, it doesn't work that way. (But you already know that!
  • jrwms714
    Options
    I went back and checked my weight logs. I decided on losing 2 - 5 more lbs. on around 5/3, so it really has only been about 3 weeks. Happy Scale, as I said, keeps me well, happy - or at least not so freaked out. Some of your suggestions are very helpful. I always exercise in the AM, but the idea of switching up what I do to trick my body is a good one. I know I shouldn't jump ahead, but if I am still here a month from now, bouncing between 2 lbs. range, but none of them really in my ultimate goal range, any other suggestions?
  • jrwms714
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    I went back and checked my weight logs. I decided on losing 2 - 5 more lbs. on around 5/3, so it really has only been about 3 weeks. Happy Scale, as I said, keeps me well, happy - or at least not so freaked out. Some of your suggestions are very helpful. I always exercise in the AM, but the idea of switching up what I do to trick my body is a good one. I know I shouldn't jump ahead, but if I am still here a month from now, bouncing between 2 lbs. range, but none of them really in my ultimate goal range, any other suggestions?
    Me again. One further question to the ones above: I use MFP to get my gym cal totals. Are they high? Should I use less than they calculate for each activity's minutes?
  • sijomial
    Options
    Me again. One further question to the ones above: I use MFP to get my gym cal totals. Are they high? Should I use less than they calculate for each activity's minutes?

No-one but you knows what you did in the gym so impossible to answer.

I would guess that when I log my weight training under MFP's "strength training" category it underestimates as I tend to lift with short rest periods and lift a high total volume of weight. But it's a guess as not something that can be measured. Such a small amount of calories (226 cals / hour) it's pretty insignificant if accurate or not.

I also see a load of people just messing about with silly little weights and putting more effort into keeping up with friends via their phone than actually lifting anything! :)
    Someone doing wrist curls and someone else doing huge squats and deadlifts are not going to be using the same amount of energy.

A lot of the categories in MFP are based on established METS tables and so will be pretty well researched but still an estimate for someone your weight.

What are you doing in the gym and under what MFP category are you logging? How many cals do you get?

• jrwms714
    Options
    I am 5'0", weigh 136.5, looking to get to 130 after 18 months of maintenance. My BMI has always been higher than "normal" due to being very muscular from my thighs on down.

I rotate between cardio and weights 5x/week. When cardio, it is usually 30 - 40 minutes/ machine, usually on intervals or hill climb, and those machines are ellipticals with and without arms, stationery bikes, with and without arms, stair master, and rowing machines. When doing weights, I use anywhere from 5 - 10 lb. weights, and use as many weight machines as possible, usually anywhere from 20 - 65 lbs., depending on what I am working on. I am 69 years old so am much more careful than I used to be because I don't want to injure myself. I am not interesting in body recomp or body fat percentage. I am older and more inclined to simplify everything. I just want to be fitI, too, see people talking on their phones or gossiping while occupying benches and it drives me nuts. I log everything under Cardio on MFP.

Today, for example, was a full cardio day and here is the info from MFP:
    Elliptical with arms 30 237
    Stationary bike, vigorous effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 34 367
    Yesterday was part cardio, part strength training:
    Rowing, stationary, vigorous effort 30 262
    Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 30 93
  • sijomial
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am 5'0", weigh 136.5, looking to get to 130 after 18 months of maintenance. My BMI has always been higher than "normal" due to being very muscular from my thighs on down.

I rotate between cardio and weights 5x/week. When cardio, it is usually 30 - 40 minutes/ machine, usually on intervals or hill climb, and those machines are ellipticals with and without arms, stationery bikes, with and without arms, stair master, and rowing machines. When doing weights, I use anywhere from 5 - 10 lb. weights, and use as many weight machines as possible, usually anywhere from 20 - 65 lbs., depending on what I am working on. I am 69 years old so am much more careful than I used to be because I don't want to injure myself. I am not interesting in body recomp or body fat percentage. I am older and more inclined to simplify everything. I just want to be fitI, too, see people talking on their phones or gossiping while occupying benches and it drives me nuts. I log everything under Cardio on MFP.
    My guesses or suggestions in italics.....

Today, for example, was a full cardio day and here is the info from MFP:
    Elliptical with arms 30 237 - seems perfectly reasonable

Stationary bike, vigorous effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 34 367 - seems rather high, more than 10 cals/min would be good going for a little lady of more than a few summers. In terms of intensity did it feel like you burned that much more than you did on the rower or elliptical? Would be tempted to take 25% or so off that number.

Rowing, stationary, vigorous effort 30 262 - Good effort! If a Concept2 rower I've found their calorie counts very accurate but you do have to adjust the number on the display for your weight. ( http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/calorie-calculator )

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 30 93 - Such a small number it's not worth trying to adjust or overthink so just go with it for simplicity.

see people talking on their phones or gossiping while occupying benches and it drives me nuts
    You and me both! :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For the stationary bike, mine gives me the same number as my HRM, I go pretty intense and I burn maybe 220 calories an hour. It's sad. I'm 5'5" and 135 pounds.

Thanks a ton for the link to calculate rowing calories, btw. I always wondered how to adjust those for my weight...

Seriously in the end for me the best calorie burn by far is the treadmill at 3.3mph and an incline (I usually do 8% or more).
  • jrwms714
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My guesses or suggestions in italics.....

Stationary bike, vigorous effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 34 367 - seems rather high, more than 10 cals/min would be good going for a little lady of more than a few summers. In terms of intensity did it feel like you burned that much more than you did on the rower or elliptical? Would be tempted to take 25% or so off that number.

Rowing, stationary, vigorous effort 30 262 - Good effort! If a Concept2 rower I've found their calorie counts very accurate but you do have to adjust the number on the display for your weight. ( http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/calorie-calculator )

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 30 93 - Such a small number it's not worth trying to adjust or overthink so just go with it for simplicity.

When using the stationary bike, I am nearly always using one of their programs, usually intervals or 'rolling hills' at a high resistance, as I bike ride at a state park and need to be in shape for those hills, so sometimes the stationary bike is a really hard workout. Yes, it does sometimes feel like I am working harder on the bike because of that. I use interval and hill programs on the ellipticals, but somehow the bike gets my heart going faster even than the rower, which is my all-time favorite cardio. The rower is a Concept 2 rower, yes, and a newer one. I row at a resistance of 10. I don't use the numbers or calories on any of the machines. I find that if I go with what MFP allots, it is just simpler, so the calories that I burned and gave the numbers for (above) are from MFP.

Never get many calories from the strength training but do love it!!!