megimoops Posts: 22 Member
Can we use low salt in cooking

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Why not?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I am allergic to iodine and use very little salt since most of it I iodized. I use pepper & other spices instead. I do use salt in the water for rice & pastas and a very small amount in the rubs I make for BBQ.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Yes.....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Indeed, unless you have a potassium issue. Manufacturer's web site explains.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Yes. Anymore, I typically only add a little salt to protein (chicken, steak, etc.) before roasting it. Otherwise I don't add the salt called for in recipes and never add any to a finished plate. If you are used to lots of salt, the food will probably taste bland for a while, but once you get used to low salt, everything will taste delicious again.
  • megimoops
    megimoops Posts: 22 Member
    I do not add any salt at all to any of my food, and none added when cooking, have not used salt for years, just wanted to know if it was acceptable, thank you for the replies
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    You are not strange for cooking without salt.
    I thought everyone over 65 watches this. Not strange at all.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    As long as you make sure you get enough sodium in your diet, yes you could look low salt.

Whether or not you benefit from cooking low salt is another question, but it can be a good idea if you're hypertensive or if you have kidney problems.