30 day squats/lunges

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
Has anyone done a 30 day squat or lunge program? If so what results if any have you seen? I'm considering it but in a deficit and I'm not sure if those exercises alone would achieve much. Seems to start at 50 per day and end in 250 (with 2 rest days a week)

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm admittedly not an expert, but I received what sounded like good advice (from a personal trainer friend-of-a-friend) about those squat challenges.
    He said that you're better off doing a lower volume of heavy squats, rather than doing a super high volume (like 50+) of body weight squats. You're not going to make strength gains just banging out body weight squats, and if your goal is to just lose weight, there are much better cardio options that won't stress your joints as much as 50+ squats.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to have killer endurance on squats, those programs work great.

If you want to build muscle and strength then you need a program that will progressively increase resistance. This could be a bodyweight progression (assisted squat, squat, pistol squat, etc...) or use weights (barbell, kettle bell, etc...)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Erm please could you explain body weight progression?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Looking for strength really...
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I'm admittedly not an expert, but I received what sounded like good advice (from a personal trainer friend-of-a-friend) about those squat challenges.
    He said that you're better off doing a lower volume of heavy squats, rather than doing a super high volume (like 50+) of body weight squats. You're not going to make strength gains just banging out body weight squats, and if your goal is to just lose weight, there are much better cardio options that won't stress your joints as much as 50+ squats.
    Thanks that makes sense
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »

This is an example of a body weight progression - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/squat-progression.html
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »

This is an example of a body weight progression - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/squat-progression.html
    Perfect thank you