Looking for lifting advice for guys

Options
tfpdunn
tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
I've lost around 30 pounds since December, but have plateaued recently. I'm looking to lose another 20-25 lbs.

I've just changed my workout plan and am looking for advice. I had been doing mainly cardio 4-5 days a week and am changing to a mix of cardio/lifting: Monday, chest and tris; Tuesday, elliptical, Wednesday, back and bis; Thursday elliptical; Friday, legs; Saturday, bicycling; Sunday, rest.

Any input would be appreciated. I started at 260 and am currently around 230, looking to reach/exceed my goal weight of 210 by Labor Day.

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 30 pounds since December, but have plateaued recently. I'm looking to lose another 20-25 lbs.

I've just changed my workout plan and am looking for advice. I had been doing mainly cardio 4-5 days a week and am changing to a mix of cardio/lifting: Monday, chest and tris; Tuesday, elliptical, Wednesday, back and bis; Thursday elliptical; Friday, legs; Saturday, bicycling; Sunday, rest.

Any input would be appreciated. I started at 260 and am currently around 230, looking to reach/exceed my goal weight of 210 by Labor Day.

focus on your diet. if you decide to start lifting, stick to the basic compound movements only.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you're adding in lifting for the first time, why not just go with a full-body routine 3 times a week?
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Check out strong lifts or starting strength. Both good beginner programs.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Hitting each muscle group more frequently with the suggested fullbody routine would be ideal. You could use various workouts such as stronglifts, starting strength or All pros beginners.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

All Pro's is excellent on a cut.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I should be more specific. Based on my previous experience, I'm adding in those body part split routines...4 exercises per muscle group (4 sets x 15 reps at low weight) and am keeping a pretty high pace to elevate my heart rates. Most sets, I superset (eg, lawnmowers+hammer curls) to maximize the aerobic level.

This worked for me in my early 20's but now in my mid-30's I wasn't sure it would still be effective.