Looking for help from bodybuilders

Options
2»

Replies

• chrisakowalczyk
    chrisakowalczyk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    I do an RPT form myself. Reverse pyramid training.
    Kinda gives the best of both worlds.

U can also take a look at Layne Norton's PHAT program.
    I did that for a while. But it is a tough program

Honestly I just want to grow. I'll check it out for sure
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Well u have to get on a solid program and stay consistent
    Eat right and be patient
    I have been lifting over 21 years now.

If u are new to lifting I say focus on going heavy. Shoot for the 5-8 rep range on most exercises.

Build a solid foundation of muscle before you move onto the "pump" ranges. 10-12 reps.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Looking at your stats and assuming you are working out and lifting at least 4 days a week, here is my suggestion: I'd try setting daily macros at 190 grams protein, 190 grams carbs, and 70 grams fat a day which would be 2150 calories a day. Split over 5 meals would be shooting for around 30-40 grams protein/carbs per meal and 14 grams of fat per meal. If you eat something higher in fat or carbs one meal, say, you eat a handful of almonds which has 28 grams of fat, or pasta which has 75 grams of carbs, just cut the amount in other meals. Don't worry about too much protein but make sure you get enough. I find shakes can come in handy for some protein to save money/time and not have to eat chicken all the damn time. Being only 20 you have hormones on your side as well. Find a good workout program that works for you, I like the programs you can get over at bodybuilding.com because you can view and track your workouts super easily with their app too.

Thanks for the comment man, I really appreciate your advice! I just really want to grow and I'm finding somethings confusing. Some people say lift heavier for 10-12 sets and some say lower the weight a bit and aim for higher reps.. Hopefully I can find a good program on bodybuilding.com and slowly make gains. Do you think I should loose some fat before trying to gain muscle???

I like to change up rep ranges, but generally can't go wrong with 8-12 reps and you can build more strength in the 5-6 rep range. Both work good and sometimes I'll even go for higher reps like 20-30. As far as cutting fat, it will take care of itself. At 170 pounds and 20% body fat that's in a normal range. Even if you didn't lose any body fat (which you will) and gained 5-7 pounds of muscle, that in itself will lower your body fat percentage. And when you have more muscle, your body will require more calories and will create the need to burn more fat in itself. Of course it never hurts to throw cardio in a few days a week.
  • chrisakowalczyk
    chrisakowalczyk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Looking at your stats and assuming you are working out and lifting at least 4 days a week, here is my suggestion: I'd try setting daily macros at 190 grams protein, 190 grams carbs, and 70 grams fat a day which would be 2150 calories a day. Split over 5 meals would be shooting for around 30-40 grams protein/carbs per meal and 14 grams of fat per meal. If you eat something higher in fat or carbs one meal, say, you eat a handful of almonds which has 28 grams of fat, or pasta which has 75 grams of carbs, just cut the amount in other meals. Don't worry about too much protein but make sure you get enough. I find shakes can come in handy for some protein to save money/time and not have to eat chicken all the damn time. Being only 20 you have hormones on your side as well. Find a good workout program that works for you, I like the programs you can get over at bodybuilding.com because you can view and track your workouts super easily with their app too.

Thanks for the comment man, I really appreciate your advice! I just really want to grow and I'm finding somethings confusing. Some people say lift heavier for 10-12 sets and some say lower the weight a bit and aim for higher reps.. Hopefully I can find a good program on bodybuilding.com and slowly make gains. Do you think I should loose some fat before trying to gain muscle???

I like to change up rep ranges, but generally can't go wrong with 8-12 reps and you can build more strength in the 5-6 rep range. Both work good and sometimes I'll even go for higher reps like 20-30. As far as cutting fat, it will take care of itself. At 170 pounds and 20% body fat that's in a normal range. Even if you didn't lose any body fat (which you will) and gained 5-7 pounds of muscle, that in itself will lower your body fat percentage. And when you have more muscle, your body will require more calories and will create the need to burn more fat in itself. Of course it never hurts to throw cardio in a few days a week.

Awesome! I hadn't thought about it like that! Thanks man
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    At 20% bf you need to cut or recomp. Do not bulk.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that you should cut first instead of bulk. Since you're relatively new to lifting and a 20 year old male, you would probably be able to put on a bit of muscle while still leaning out.