Wedding night do dilemma

Options
Hi guys hope you all doing well I just need some guidance been on the app since Feb and doing well recently went on a hen do and did not go much over pleased with myself how ever it is the wedding this week and the night do is Buffett and I love a good a Buffett lol but I don't want to be greedy lol can you offer some tips am not drinking as I have had said I will be des just some advice would be great

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If I were in that situation I would allow myself one trip to the buffet but I'd allow myself whatever I'd like- weddings don't happen every day and it's okay to treat yourself. That doesn't work for everyone but it sounds like you were able to splurge a little recently without going way overboard so I'd try to do the same for the wedding.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For a buffet, scan the options before you get a plate. Then depending on your decision to a) continue at your daily deficit, b) eat at maintenance that day, c) decide to to over your maintenance, you can make your choices. For me, if I am deciding to stay at my deficit or close to it, I will choose a lot of vegetables as close to "unprocessed" as possible (i.e., raw over cooked, steamed over buttered, etc) & lean meat like chicken or fish. If I am deciding to eat at maintenance, I supplement this rather spartan (under the circumstances) fare with a small amount of a sauced entree & also add fruit. If I decide to eat over maintenance, I might add dessert. If I choose the a) or b) option it is helpful to have been eating my usual fare before a buffet so I am not super hungry when I go. Other people just pretty much fast until the event and eat their daily calories at it.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Auto correct from a phone? So you have a buffet coming up? What i would do is not drink my calories, so dont have any sugar soda or juices. Have zero calorie drinks or water. Drink hard liquor if you want to booze. Have a little of everything. Remember that food that has a lot of fat or oil on it will be higher in calories so have smaller portions of those type of foods. Have small portions of everything. Dont have 3 plates 1 foot high with food on them. Dont eat much that day, eat less the next day and you should be ok.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I want to be sure that I am understanding this

Are you getting married or is somebody else?
    Does "des" mean designated driver?
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Are you getting married? Personally if it was my wedding, I'd skip on the buffet and be thinking about the wedding night... lol
    If it is not your wedding, just a wedding, then put reasonable limits on yourself, but still enjoy it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Are you getting married? Personally if it was my wedding, I'd skip on the buffet and be thinking about the wedding night... lol
    If it is not your wedding, just a wedding, then put reasonable limits on yourself, but still enjoy it.

This! If it IS your wedding then the general buffet advice of "look over the entire thing first, then decide what you really want" doesn't apply assuming you chose the food to be served. In that case, you would already know what is being served and you can estimate calories and maybe pre-log what you'll eat.

Either way, at a social function I prefer to focus on conversation rather than food. Sure, eat a bit of what you like, but no need to over-do it. That food will always be available.
  • sammday5
    sammday5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys that really helps a lot it my mates wedding and I am driving I will look st the Buffett and then decide from there cheers for the help guys

• sammday5
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »

Hi Hun no it not my wedding lol thank you for your reply I was thinking of having a light tea before I go so am less likely to snack at the Buffett
  • sammday5
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

It's my mates wedding Hun and sorry yeah des means designated driver used to like a drink but not so much now
  • magpie0829
    magpie0829 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If this is your wedding to hell with calories and what you should or shouldn't eat. It is your wedding day. Eat and drink up! I mean you most likely paid for it so you may as well enjoy the food. Seriously one day is not going to ruin whatever progress you have made. And needless to say, if it was your wedding day, the last thing you should even be worrying about is logging what you are going to eat.

And if it isn't your wedding day, my advice still stands. Eat and drink what you want. It is one night. One night to have some fun and enjoy yourself. So do that. Again, one night isn't going to ruin any of the progress you made. So enjoy the buffet and the next day go back to eating/exercising normally.

Life is all about balance. On a regular basis I watch what I eat and I workout. But on special occasions I will allow myself to forget about calories and just enjoy myself.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    sammday5 wrote: »

It's my mates wedding Hun and sorry yeah des means designated driver used to like a drink but not so much now

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Good for you for being the designated driver! Not only will you keep everyone safe you'll save yourself a bunch of liquid calories.

Will there be dancing at the reception? If so, feel free to dance off your calories! You certainly won't want to over eat and be too uncomfortable to dance, right?
  • sammday5
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    sammday5 wrote: »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Good for you for being the designated driver! Not only will you keep everyone safe you'll save yourself a bunch of liquid calories.

Will there be dancing at the reception? If so, feel free to dance off your calories! You certainly won't want to over eat and be too uncomfortable to dance, right?

You are right lol love a good dance so that is what am thinking cheers for this :)
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like buffets. My strategy now is to pick what appeals to me the most. I become very picky. Why waste calories on something that isn't fabulous? This strategy allows me to enjoy buffets without gaining.

Have fun!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    If it had been your wedding you probably wouldn't have a problem. I swear the bride and groom never get to eat. Too busy.
  • sammday5
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    If it had been your wedding you probably wouldn't have a problem. I swear the bride and groom never get to eat. Too busy.

Ha ha ha ha you probably right
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Have a great time! I like the idea of looking things over before making your decision. I would like to think that, especially with not drinking, you should be able to stick to your plan. And remember, it's a wedding and you should do plenty of dancing. I know I don't like a full tummy when I am dancing so it would help me to eat a bit less. That said, the extra calories burned by dancing the night away will help with a larger meal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For buffets, I generally take a plate, fill it with the things I like and that's that. No second trips. I don't fuss about with the choices since I'm there to enjoy the celebrations and it's okay if I had something a bit higher in calories if something looked particularly appealing. Then I just slowly pick at my plate while having a good time. You don't go to open buffets every day, so one day is not the end of the world.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    magpie0829 wrote: »
    If this is your wedding to hell with calories and what you should or shouldn't eat. It is your wedding day. Eat and drink up! I mean you most likely paid for it so you may as well enjoy the food. Seriously one day is not going to ruin whatever progress you have made. And needless to say, if it was your wedding day, the last thing you should even be worrying about is logging what you are going to eat.

And if it isn't your wedding day, my advice still stands. Eat and drink what you want. It is one night. One night to have some fun and enjoy yourself. So do that. Again, one night isn't going to ruin any of the progress you made. So enjoy the buffet and the next day go back to eating/exercising normally.

Life is all about balance. On a regular basis I watch what I eat and I workout. But on special occasions I will allow myself to forget about calories and just enjoy myself.

Totally agree. One night of enjoying yourself is not going to ruin your long term goals.
    In March I went on vacation for 4 days ate whatever I wanted drink whatever on. Definitely enjoyed myself. Since then I'm down an additional 15 pounds.

What you have to remember is this is a lifestyle change not a diet. In a diet you sacrificed your miserable you don't enjoy yourself. That's why I die it's normally fail I've gone through a whole bunch of times. I'm looking this as a lifestyle change. I'm actually enjoying it this time.

If you weigh yourself every day you'll probably experience a couple pounds increase but that's only temporary because of the salty food and water retention. last Friday weight myself 235 pounds. Went to an outdoor Food Festival on Saturday had a couple beers some good barbecue ice cream a whole bunch of stuff. Weight myself on on Monday morning 238. okay I'll see what I look like on Tuesday on Tuesday weight was 235.

Enjoy the journey it's more fun that way.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    For buffets, take a small plate and make more than one trip. Sample this, sample that. A LITTLE of what you take. You'll soon see that you're not so hungry after eating less than you other wise would have.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend. Take about half the serving size that your eyes want and you will still be full.